How To Stack And Cake And Keep Icing From Sticking

Decorating By kweenofengland Updated 15 Jul 2008 , 10:27pm by Aliwis000

kweenofengland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kweenofengland Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 9:47pm
post #1 of 5

hi!

I have only done a couple of stacked cakes and i honestly have no idea how they came out as far as the icing goes, but this party i will be attending and i want to make sure everyone gets cake with icing on it. It is going to be 3-4 stacks high. I planned on putting each cake on a board cut to fit its size and cover the edge of the board with BC to disguise, but my concern is when the board is lifted, the icing on the next layer coming with it. how do all you pros handle this? thanks for the help!

4 replies
BellaSweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaSweet Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 9:53pm
post #2 of 5

I have never tried this, but i was delivering a grooms cake at the same time as the wedding cake decorator. And when she was stacking her cake at the table, I saw coconut shavings where she was gonna place the cake between the tiers. I'm scared to try because of potential flavor transfer. I also would like to know this asit happens with not only my icing but my fondant aswell.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 9:58pm
post #3 of 5

Just put a circle of wax paper or parchment paper between the top of the layer and the cardboard of the next layer...put a little icing between the wax and the cardboard so it sticks, and then center dowel it.

Have fun!

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 10:18pm
post #4 of 5

You can also just sprinkle some powdered sugar on the area that is getting stacked. It works just like the coconut does (but doesn't change the taste of the icing!).

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 10:27pm
post #5 of 5

The cake lady that did a 3 tired cake for a baby shower we threw she offered the coconut as the best solution. However I hate coconut and new that we would have a lot of left over cake (just how we like it icon_smile.gif So she offered to put a little extra icing there and powdered sugar, we had some pull off but it turned out fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%