How To Stack And Cake And Keep Icing From Sticking

Decorating By kweenofengland Updated 17 Jul 2008 , 10:13pm by charlieinMO

kweenofengland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kweenofengland Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 9:47pm
post #1 of 22

hi!

I have only done a couple of stacked cakes and i honestly have no idea how they came out as far as the icing goes, but this party i will be attending and i want to make sure everyone gets cake with icing on it. It is going to be 3-4 stacks high. I planned on putting each cake on a board cut to fit its size and cover the edge of the board with BC to disguise, but my concern is when the board is lifted, the icing on the next layer coming with it. how do all you pros handle this? thanks for the help!

21 replies
Tweedie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tweedie Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 11:23pm
post #2 of 22

I've heard some people put a layer of shredded coconut down before the next layer is placed on but I personally hate coconut and know a lot of other people do too so I would try some powdered sugar. I did it once but I didn't see the cake as it was cut and served so I don't know if it actually works!

kweenofengland Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 1:18am
post #3 of 22

thanks. i kinda like that idea of the coconut or maybe pecans or something....i might can work with that idea. i have heard about the powdered sugar, but figured it would probably work good on fondant, not so good on BC. any other ideas people?

MissChrissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissChrissy Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 1:52am
post #4 of 22

I use powdered sugar on my BC every time and haven't had a problem yet!!! icon_lol.gif

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 2:12am
post #5 of 22

i use nothing and have no problems

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 2:16am
post #6 of 22

I also use nothing and have no problems with this either.

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 2:32am
post #7 of 22

when you guys mentioned you used nothing & had no probs at all, does that mean, your BC on the cake below didn't stick to the bottom of the upper tier?

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 2:47am
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren

when you guys mentioned you used nothing & had no probs at all, does that mean, your BC on the cake below didn't stick to the bottom of the upper tier?

correct
i have a good crusting bc

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 3:24am
post #9 of 22

I use a non-crusting bc, therefore I throw on some coarse sugar where the plate goes. But I bought a 30 pound case of coarse sugar and then didn't have any other use for it. icon_smile.gif

kweenofengland Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 4:54pm
post #10 of 22

Sugarshack-
can you share your crusting BC recipe? I use wilton recipe minus the meringue, but sometimes i get it perfect and other times it wont crust.

cakecastle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecastle Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 6:43pm
post #11 of 22

I use SugarShack's icing recipe and my top layer has stuck both times I made a tiered cake. This last time wasn't as bad as the first though. I was planning to try the ps trick and see if it worked after reading that recently, but I forgot icon_surprised.gif . It's probably me and the way I'm removing the top layer.....I have the darndest time getting that thing off, lol. But can I say Sharon's icing recipe is mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, good! Love that stuff icon_razz.gif !

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 6:52pm
post #12 of 22

I use a crusting buttercream. After it is nicely crusted, I put a piece of baking parchment slightly smaller than the cake board for the tier that will be going on top of it on top of the bottom tier. The parchment easily comes off of the top of the cake when ready to disassemble and serve.

I decided to try this because a lot of people don't like coconut.

yayadesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yayadesigns Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 7:08pm
post #13 of 22

I dont use anything and I havent had a problem..I do cover my boards all the way around so the cardboard doesnt get soggy.

cakecastle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecastle Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 7:41pm
post #14 of 22

Does everyone that doesn't have a problem use cardboard cake circles? Maybe that's my problem because I use plastic cake plates. Think that could be part of it?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 8:59pm
post #15 of 22

I always use the SPS plastic plates. Really, cake people are the ONLY ones who worry about this stuff. No one else would even think to be concerned.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 9:24pm
post #16 of 22

If I have a 6 inch cake going on top of an 8 inch I cut a piece of parchment paper just slightly smaller than 6 inches and glue it onto the bottom of the 6 inch cake board with piping gel. I've only done this a couple of times but it has worked really well.

I'd also be really careful about putting nuts on as was suggested. Nut allergies are extremely dangerous.

knel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knel Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 9:47pm
post #17 of 22

I use the powdered sugar and parchment circle cut just a wee bit smaller than the cake circle, also. Never had any troubles....

tchrmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tchrmom Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 9:48pm
post #18 of 22

I have only done this once, and mine stuck. I used a cake cardboard the shape of the top later (it was the jungle cake in my photos). I had wrapped the cardboard in freezer paper, so maybe the shiny surface caused this. I bet the parchment paper idea would work, though. If you choose to use nuts, I'd definitely let people know in case of allergies.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:13am
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kweenofengland

thanks. i kinda like that idea of the coconut or maybe pecans or something

Watch out for people with allergies.

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 1:34pm
post #20 of 22

I have had this problem lately with my fondant sticking to the cake board above, any suggestion on this?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 8:31pm
post #21 of 22

My icing crusts very well and I've never had a problem ... I've used both, plastic plates and plain cardboards. I let the icing crust overnight and stack the cake the next day. I don't wrap my cardboards either. I make the cake on Thursday for a Saturday wedding so they sit on those cardboards for a couple of days, and since I stay and cut my cakes, I can see that the cardboard is just fine ... it's not made of rice paper, and it holds up just fine. thumbs_up.gif

On my website page of How to Cut A Wedding Cake, http://cateritsimple.com/_wsn/page10.html , you can see the indention onthe top of the tiers, shoiwng the plates were touching the cakes below, but no sticking.

On the issue of coconut .... I am a person who hates (!) coconut. If I ordered a cake and there was one flake of coconut on it, I would demand (!) a full refund as I would deem the cake inedible. I didn't order a coconut cake and would be really ticked off if the decorator decided to give me a coconut cake anyway. icon_mad.gif Tread carefully on this one, in case you run into someone like me! icon_rolleyes.gif

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 10:13pm
post #22 of 22

Indydebi I am with you on the coconut!!!! Can't stand the stuff!!! Love the directions for cutting a round cake also! Thanks for sharing that!!
I have only done a couple of stacked cakes and I wrapped the boards. Haven't tried it not wrapping yet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%