Pastry Pride - Is It Plain Or Sweet?

Decorating By ANicole Updated 16 Jul 2008 , 6:21am by ceshell

ANicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANicole Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 7:24pm
post #1 of 4

I'm trying to get a few recipes together that don't need refrigeration and I found one of the links here on another thread where someone suggested using Pastry Pride and flavoring it to make mousse-like fillings. I was just wondering if Pastry Pride is a replacement for whipping cream? Or is it a sweetened whipped cream like Reddi Whip or something?

TIA!!

3 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 9:28pm
post #2 of 4

Pastry pride is lightly sweet (to most people) and is much like Cool Whip with a bit more stability. It must be refrigerated.

Most mousse fillings and anything with puddings will require refrigeration for as long as possible.

Buttercream mixed with jams or fruit fillings are usually safe at room temp for quite a while. (unless you use an all butter icing-the heat will melt it.)

tomatoqeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomatoqeen Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 5:50am
post #3 of 4

I've tried the Pastry Pride and the Frostin' Pride. The PP was $2.79 for a quart and the FP was $3.99 for a quart at Smart and Final. JMO, but the Frostin Pride is well worth the extra money. We found the PP "chemically" tasting, but the FP was smooth, creamy and tasted great!!

I've used Rich's Chocolate Bettercreme which is wonderful also. I have not used the vanilla bettercreme, but I believe it takes flavorings/add-ins also. Google their website (w w w. richsbettercreme . c o m ?) for the low down on shelf stability.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 6:21am
post #4 of 4

Great question, and thanks for your review of FP tomatoqueen! I just tried to use PP as is, as a replacement for whipped cream, and I couldn't get the chemical-aftertaste out of my mouth for over an hour! thumbsdown.gif. Bleck. To be fair, I did not add vanialla, maybe that would have helped. I had no idea FP had a better flavor, so I might not swear off their products now lol.

To ANicole, I have used ShirleyW's recipe here using PP and pudding to create a "mock bavarian cream" - again I didn't care for the "fake" taste that came through but I had to admit, once on the cake, the flavor was not really detectable. I served this cake at a party, everyone loved the filling. Even so, due to my aforementioned aversion to the PP "artificial" flavor I opted to deal with a real bavarian cream for my last cake *sigh*.

The unwhipped container of PP must be kept frozen (or refrigerated) but once iced the cake itself can be left unrefrigerated for 24 hours. The DoItWithIcing site seems to be down but they posted this info (as well as a lot of other info they have about the product) here on a yahoo answers page http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060911153314AA0uXw8 - lots of great info about the stuff.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%