First Time With Gum Paste...question

Decorating By LoriMc Updated 15 Jul 2008 , 7:42pm by sweetsbyJ

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 6:31pm
post #1 of 8

So I am about to mix the powder with the water.....can it be colored after it is made into gum paste, or should I do that while mixing?

Also how do I store any leftover gum paste and how long will it last?

Thanks!

7 replies
sweetsbyJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbyJ Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 6:37pm
post #2 of 8

Im not a gumpaste expert but I have used the mix before and you can color it after it has been mixed. I havent colored it before mixing but I think it would work and it might be easier if its a darker color. I just wrap mine in saran wrap and stick it in an airtight bucket and it keeps pretty well.

LoriMc Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks! What do you roll it out with? Cornstarch? Shortening? Mine seems really doughy....

sweetsbyJ Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 6:53pm
post #4 of 8

I roll mine out with cornstarch and I use shortening on my hands when it gets too sticky.
Mine has a fondant like texture..

LoriMc Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 7:09pm
post #5 of 8

Oh I just noticed on the package it says to let it sit for 24 hours after mixing!!! This is not conveinent! Maybe that's why mine looks doughy.

I needed to make a bow for a cake being picked up Friday morning. Do you think if I make it tomorrow it will have enough time to dry?

Thanks for all the answers!

sweetsbyJ Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 7:18pm
post #6 of 8

I think I used mine before that 24 hour thing and it was fine. If it is a big bow it might need more time to dry. I guess it depends on humidity, heat, and what not. maybe you can try making it tonight??

I hope someone who's more experienced w/ gumpaste can come on here and help icon_confused.gif

LoriMc Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 7:36pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks for your help! The customer did not specify a bow, I was just going to try it for fun. Guess I'll go ahead and see what happens!

sweetsbyJ Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 7:42pm
post #8 of 8

Good Luck icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%