Cake For 4Year Olds

Baking By dani256 Updated 15 Jul 2008 , 3:28am by gateaux

dani256 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dani256 Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 6:43pm
post #1 of 4

I will be attempting to make my 4year olds birthday cake for his b-day party. I need a recipe for a cake and buttercream & fondant that all taste good together. I found picture of a cake I think I can make but it is covered in fondant, so I need fondant that tastes good. I tried store bought fondant for my daughters cake in March and it was horrible.

3 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 7:10pm
post #2 of 4

Look for a recipe for marshmallow fondant. It tastes good, is cheap and easy (but messsy!) to make, and easy to work with too.

Most 4 year olds will eat any cake...so make something that the grownups at the party will like, and the kids will eat it too.

Harabekah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Harabekah Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:00am
post #3 of 4

Hi,
I saw your need for a fondant recipe, here's one I learned in cake class that's really pretty good. Actually now that i look at it, it's a cake central recipe.
Ingredients:
1-16oz bag regular or mini marshmallows
1-2lb bag confectioner's suger
2-Tablespoons water
2 teaspoons flavoring (I've used vanilla, butter and rum- all are good)
Shortening
Cornstarch

Grease well your mixing bowl and a pyrex or glass bowl that can be used to melt marshmallows in the microwave

Place 16oz bag of marshmallows, 2 Tablespoons of water and 2 teaspoons of flavoring of your choice in pyrex/glass bowl coated with shortening and microwave on high for 60 seconds
Stir. IF all the marshmallows are not melted, return to microwave for approximately 30 seconds. Stir, continue this process until all are melted. Should not take too long, you don't want to over cook the marshmallow.

I acutally just poured the melted marshmallows into my mixer and then sifted in 4-8 cups of powdered sugar depending on the heat of the day. Sometimes I would do 4 other times 6 cups. In the end the texture should be kinda like play-doh. I know sifting is a lot of work, but it's worth it to get the right consistency. Anyway, I mixed with my paddle attachment on my mixer until all the melted marshmallows are incorporated in the sugar. Once mixture starts to get thick, switch over to your dough hook attachment because it will get really thick.

Wrap fondant in saran wrap and make sure no air gets to it. It needs to sit at least an hour to cool down completely. (will be slightly sticky since fondant will still be warm)

Usually while I wait for it to cool, I frost my cake so that it will be firm by the time I'm ready to cover with fondant. I can also then smooth out any crumbs on my cake before applying fondant.

Once fondant is cooled I take out however much I need to cover the cake. I sprinkle either powdered sugar or cornstarch on the counter or wilton measuring circle and start rolling fondant until about 1/16 inch thick. If using the wilton circle, you know it's thin enough once you can start to see the black lines or writing through fondant. Lift the fondant while rolling to make sure it's not sticking. Once fondant is rolled and ready, I roll it up using my rolling pin (like you would crust for pie pan) then I carefully unroll onto my cake. smooth out with your hands, and then take pizza cutter and cut around cake at least 1/4 ince past cake, so you don't cut too close and miscalculate how much fondant you need. Then continue smoothing from top to sides and trimming until you've gone completely around your cake.

It's not as hard as you think it will be, just takes practice. Hope this helped you. Sorry so long!

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:28am
post #4 of 4

For a 4 year old I would use the recipe above from Harabekah for the flavoring I would use vanilla, lemon juice and bubblegum (loreann oils are great). The kids will eat if up literally!

Good Luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%