Confused About Refrigeration

Decorating By ANicole Updated 19 Jul 2008 , 2:35pm by SugaredUp

ANicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANicole Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 14

Is it ok to refrigerate a fondant covered cake if it has a filling that requires refrigeration? Or is it better to stick with fillings that don't need refrigeration? What about those wedding cakes with the mousse fillings you hear about? Does the baker just cross his/her fingers and hope it's not left out a long time? I'm so confused! I want to do a whipped cream based filling with fondant over it, but I'm scared to refrigerate fondant - a lot of people on CC say it could sweat.......

TIA!

13 replies
hallfamily727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hallfamily727 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 4:37pm
post #2 of 14

I'm curious of this answer, too. Especially b/c I have a buttercream recipe that has butter in it (for fillings) that says "Ok sitting out for 2-3 days at room temp".

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 4:45pm
post #3 of 14

You can refrigerate fondants like Satin Ice, Fondx and I think even Penti..Just not MMF or Wilton.

I personally do not use anything pershiable in my cakes, period.

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 4:46pm
post #4 of 14

I've done a few cakes with fondant.....always refridgerated at least overnight b/c I think they taste better. I had one refridgerated for 3 days. Never had a problem with it, although we don't live in a super hot climate and I told them never to set it in a warm spot and give it time to come to room temp.

NikkiDoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiDoc Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 5:11pm
post #5 of 14

Sometimes there is conflicting info here. I would say to try and see what works for you. Trial and error is the best teacher.

I don't use fondant and I use 50/50 shortening and real butter BC. Some people never frige and I always do. I think the BC stays fresh tasting longer if refrigerated. I chill after every stage in the process and I like my results, but it may not work for someone else. I let it come to room temp before serving of course in a moderate temp room, no excessive heat.

ANicole Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 7:59pm
post #6 of 14

I didn't realize it mattered what kind of fondant you use. I use MMF. It's a shame - so you can NEVER use perishables with fondant? What about Ganache? Is that perishable? I was thinking of trying a new recipe I found here on CC. It has cream, white chocolate and rum.... Would that be ok sitting out? Maybe I shouldn't risk it though because it would actually be sitting out all night (I'm finishing the night before) and then all day until the party which is at like 5. Does anyone know what usually happens if you refrigerate MMF specifically? Does it sweat? Turn soft?

ANicole Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 7:59pm
post #7 of 14

Oh - I forgot to mention, the cake will also have royal icing flowers all over it!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 5:34am
post #8 of 14

ALL of my cakes get refrigerated, even once they are completely decorated. I have never used MMF so I can comment there, but I do occasionally make regular homemade fondant and I usually use Satin Ice. The bakery I am interning at also refrigerates all of their cakes. Check out blog.pinkcakebox.com Every single one of the those cakes was refrigerated fully decorated until pick up or delivery, with no ill effects.

ANicole Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 12:47pm
post #9 of 14

I'll check it out. Thanks, Tara!

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 4:28pm
post #10 of 14

All of my cakes are refrigerated atleast overnight. I've never had a problem with fondant sweating and I live in Houston where the humidity can take your breath away. I've never used MMF but I do use Wilton & Satin with no ill effects. thumbs_up.gif

ANicole Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 10:19pm
post #11 of 14

Hmm. I wonder if anyone has refrigerated MMF?

Amanda80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amanda80 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 4:11pm
post #12 of 14

I have only used buttercream icing and wilton's fondent on all my cakes.... I always put my cakes in the fridge and the fondent does get moist when I pull them out to deliver.. But the colors never run and after a little while the fondent will dry again...

shannycakes321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannycakes321 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 11:56pm
post #13 of 14

I made a practice version of a large cake I need for this weekend, BC (half butter, half crisco) inside and MMF outside. I put a few bright green BC piping decorations on the outside and put the whole thing in the fridge over night. It was fine the right out of the fridge. Then I let it sit on the counter for a few hours, still fine, and tasted very good. Put it back in the fridge and still fine. I had heard bad things about refrigeration, so I was worried, but it seem okay. I sure don't want to take a chance on someone getting sick from my cake! And I just can't bring myself to use all crisco, butter tastes so much better! Hope this works for you!

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 2:35pm
post #14 of 14

Good info! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%