How Do I Make 'cafe Au Lait' Colored Fondant?

Decorating By Chef_Stef Updated 12 Jul 2008 , 10:41pm by pinklesley1

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 12:13am
post #1 of 9

I haven't played with it yet, but I'm wondering if anyone's done this and how. Picture something Ron ben Isreal-ish...

I can start with ivory or white fondant, not sure which; thinking a touch of brown and maybe a tiny bit of black

I think I'll go play with it now, but if you've done this, feel free to chime in.

8 replies
jess85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess85 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 4:19am
post #2 of 9

a little brown should do the trick. it shouldn't need black

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 12:48pm
post #3 of 9

i'd say brown and a tad of ivory/skintone? i don't think you'd need any black either hth icon_smile.gif

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 1:16pm
post #4 of 9

i would start with ivory and add brown little by little... there are, of coarse, different shades but to get there faster add little bits to the ivory... try with a little piece... add toothpick dots and record or memorize how much you used, and then use that ratio on a bigger piece...

sgauta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgauta Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 1:29pm
post #5 of 9

I would also say little bits of brown and/or the 'skin' tone, no black should be necessary. Maybe even a TINY hint of orange? Good luck!

Sarah

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 1:39pm
post #6 of 9

Brown and ivory is the way to go. No black, it will make your color muddy and dull looking.

Chef_Stef Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 3:17pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks you guys, I'll start with the ivory fondant and just add some brown and see where it goes. I didn't get time to do it yesterday.

Chef_Stef Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 10:01pm
post #8 of 9

I made exactly what I was looking for, but it did turn out to need a touch of black...

The color I wanted was from the Martha Stewart Wedding Cakes book--there's a gorgeous Ron ben Israel cake in there that looks like crewel work on cafe-au lait fondant, but it's sort of a 'putty'-ish color.

I used ivory fondant, added some Wilton brown, and just a *speck* of black, and it was perfect.

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 10:41pm
post #9 of 9

i am so glad that it worked out for you, be sure to upload some pics of the final cake so that we can see the final product

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%