Calculating Servings From Non Standard Sizes

Decorating By mrswendel Updated 12 Jul 2008 , 1:32am by indydebi

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all,

I am doing a cake for a family function tomorrow so it isn't for a client, however it did make me think of a question. We all use a standard serving chart (usually pretty similar) and it is always for cakes either 3 inch or 4 inches high. My question is .... what if the cake is 5.5 inches high (or more)? How do you figure out your servings? A 10 inch round 4 inches high serves approx 28-30, but what you figure for a 10 inch round 6 inches high?

Just wondering just in case. Thanks,

3 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 9:59pm
post #2 of 4

Well, if I had a 6" high cake, it would actually be two 3" tall cakes with cardboards and dowels then iced as one. So thats the same as the servings from two 3" cakes. You can always do the math.. height x pi (3.1415) x radius (half of the diameter) squared (times itself) then divided by what you consider for your serving size.

For really weird shapes, you can always fill a pan with a known serving volume (6x2" for instance) with water and see how many of those it takes to make up your funky pan.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 11:20pm
post #3 of 4

It would be the same amount. You could cut them smaller, and get more servings, but then you will end up with thin slices that maybe harder to serve.

According to the Wilton yearbook it says: Cakes from 3 to 6in high, baked in the same size pan, would yield the same number of servings because they follow the same pattern of cutting. (Such as 1.5x2 or 1x2 in serving sizes.)

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 1:32am
post #4 of 4

Standard servings are 4" tall. If you have a 6" tall cake, you basically have the same surface area (it's still an 8" round cake, no matter how tall it is) but the PIECES are taller.

So in my logic, if my per-serving price is $3 for the standard serving, then a 6" tall slice would be $4.50/serving, since it's 50% more cake per serving, ergo 50% more money per serving.

Yes, the client has more cake ... but not more servings.

The way KoryAK does it is easier to work with and figure since there is a cardboard between the two cakes and it's easy to cut standard serving sizes from the cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%