Making Smbc...

Baking By FromScratch Updated 7 Nov 2014 , 10:59am by cazza1

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 2:40pm
post #31 of 492

jkalman, do you do the hot spatula trick with the SMBC? sorry if it's a stupid question. icon_wink.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 5:37pm
post #32 of 492

No problem at all!! icon_smile.gif

I use a warmed bench scraper to smooth the sides. If the knife/spatula/scraper is hot hot it will melt the butter and it will be streaky.

icon_biggrin.gif

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 6:04pm
post #33 of 492

jkalman.. Thanks much for the step/step/ on making and icing !I love being able to see it and thanks for the recipe !

kristina67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristina67 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 12:45am
post #34 of 492

jkalman, I've never used this type of bc for scrollwork and such on fondant. How well will hold up? I think it would be wonderful to work with. Kind of like royal icing but not as stiff. Do you have pictures where you have used it on top of fondant? Thanks so much for sharing this info, you are such a great help to us newbies icon_biggrin.gif

pamconn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamconn Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:39am
post #35 of 492

Woo Hoo! I just made my first batch of SMBC and I love it! I only frosted cupcakes with it-but wow is it good! If I can do it anyone can. I added crushed strawberries with jam and it was so tastey. I can't wait until I can do a practice cake so I can see if I can smooth it.

Thank you so much for the information on this. It's nice to have another option for cakes and cupcakes.

I never thought I would be, but I'm a convert!

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 3:39am
post #36 of 492

SMBC=heaven n a spoon lol.. i love SMBc.. thanks for the pics!

FromScratch Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 4:43am
post #37 of 492

I always use royal for piping on fondant. I only use SMBC for piping on.. well.. SMBC.. icon_lol.gif

I wish I had snapped a picture of the wedding cake I did for today. I was in such a rush I forgot my camera. I pipes beautifully, but you need at least 3 bags going so you can let them rest as they get warm. I have warm hands so I have an ice pack too.

FromScratch Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 1:25pm
post #38 of 492

That should say IT pipes beautifully.. not I. LOL.. I really don't think that highly of myself.

kristina67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristina67 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:29pm
post #39 of 492

hehehe, well we do jkalman! Thanks for all of your help.

pamconn Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:48pm
post #40 of 492

I'm making a cake for my friend for this upcoming weekend for her mom's memorial service. I don't know if the church they are having it in is air conditioned or not, so I'm not going to use SMBC for that.

What is the warmest that the icing can be out at?

BTW, I did try to make it with the carton of egg whites and all I have is a tastey soup! Not sure what I can do with it now. It's been in the fridge overnight. Silly me-I hate to throw out anything that tastes good!

lilthorner Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 3:10pm
post #41 of 492

i make IMBC with the pasturized egg whites all the time,
1. did the meringue whip up enough?
2. are the measurements correct?
3. it may just need more mixing
its hard to say what can be done, without knowing exactly what went awry.

as for what temp it can set out at, the melt point of butter is between 90-95 degrees F, so anythign hotter than that woudl be a no no.. you can sub out some of the butter for hi-ratio (never tried it with reg shortening) the melt point for hi ration is 98-110 or somethign like that, so it will be more stable but not exceptionally so

FromScratch Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 5:43pm
post #42 of 492

Is it still souply even after being in the fridge? If so I don't think you can save it. Did it whip up at all? Did the meringue get nice and fluffy? Did you try to mix it up after it was really cold?

FromScratch Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 5:44pm
post #43 of 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristina67

hehehe, well we do jkalman! Thanks for all of your help.

icon_redface.gif

Thanks so much!! It's the least I can do. I have been helped so many times by this site.. just paying it forward.

pamconn Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 6:33pm
post #44 of 492

jkalman, yes it is still soupy, so I'll just toss it.

lilthorner, I could only get it to soft peak and I whipped it for a long time, maybe I should have tried longer. I went ahead and added butter to it to see if maybe I could have used it for filling, but it just never came back to a good consistency.

Thank you both for your help. I am just so tickled that I can make this now even with one failed attempt!

pamconn Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 7:26pm
post #45 of 492

one more question, can powdered egg whites/meringue powder be used?

FromScratch Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 9:04pm
post #46 of 492

Meringue powder has more than just eggs in it.. it has cream of tartar and gums and all sorts of stuff.. I'd stay away from it. I don't know about the powdered whites.. never used them for anything. I'd just stick with regular egg whites.. it's a sure bet and it's easy to do AND you have leftover yolks to make yummy things like lemond curd and pastry cream! icon_wink.gif

Also, be sure to REALLY clean your mixer bowl as trace fats can impede the formation of your meringue. icon_smile.gif

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 9:42pm
post #47 of 492

I use powdered egg whites all the time. I buy them in bulk and they work great!

FromScratch Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 9:48pm
post #48 of 492

Have you ever made it both ways and tasted them? Do they taste the same? Buying powdered egg whites would make things easier.. but only if there's no difference in taste. icon_smile.gif

lilthorner Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 2:32am
post #49 of 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamconn

jkalman, yes it is still soupy, so I'll just toss it.

lilthorner, I could only get it to soft peak and I whipped it for a long time, maybe I should have tried longer. I went ahead and added butter to it to see if maybe I could have used it for filling, but it just never came back to a good consistency.

Thank you both for your help. I am just so tickled that I can make this now even with one failed attempt!

I whip mine for like 10 minutes after its heated.. I also make sure the sugar is melted.. I actually stick my finger in the mix and rub my finger together, if I feel no grains, I take it off..

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 4:12pm
post #50 of 492

so i made too much SMBC for the cupcakes and i was gonna throw it out. my grandma tells me, put it in a bowl, i want it for dessert. LOL just the frosting. LOL

it IS heaven in a spoon icon_biggrin.gif

FromScratch Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:10am
post #51 of 492

Ooooh.. never toss it.. freeze it!! It keeps for at least 3 months in the freezer.

Giving it to g-ma is always a good option too though.. icon_wink.gif

farmom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farmom3 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:21pm
post #52 of 492

Thank you so much jkalman
thumbs_up.gif
I made SMBC once and I loved it so much, How can I freeze it??
in the freezer bag or in the airtight container ?? how can i defrosted in microwave??? sorry to many ?????
thanks again

Weimtigress319 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Weimtigress319 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 5:50pm
post #53 of 492

Hi Everyone!

Quick question about the SMBC... if I use it as a filling for cupcakes, do the cupcakes need to be refrigerated?? icon_confused.gif

Thanks!!

Weimtigress319

Pama2d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pama2d Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 6:54pm
post #54 of 492

I am DYING to try this recipe!! Does SMBC & IMBC take color like regular buttercream? What do you do if you need bright colored frosting??

FromScratch Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 7:19pm
post #55 of 492

I will take gell colors okay, but candy colors work better. Gel colors are water based and they don't mix in all the way, but candy colors are oil based and they mix in perfectly. You can get it moderately bright, but too much color will effect the taste. If I need bright colors I use fondant.

If your cupcakes are going to be out for a day or two then no.. don't worry about chilling them, but beyond that I would. Cuppies never last that long anyway.. icon_lol.gif

To freeze it I lay out a piece of plastic wrap and plop the SMBC on that and wrap it up. Then wrap it again and place it in a zipper bag and put it in the freezer. When you want to use it again, place it on the counter and let it get to room temp, or you can microwave it for 10 second intervals until it thaws. If you whip it up and it's a little cold it will separate and look REALLY nasty, but if you warm it up a bit and keep whipping.. it will come back together. icon_smile.gif

Pama2d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pama2d Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 7:49pm
post #56 of 492

Thanks Jeanne.... Your help is MUCH appreciated!!!!

farmom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farmom3 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 7:56pm
post #57 of 492

Thank you so much jkalman thumbs_up.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 10:59pm
post #58 of 492

She's a doll that Jeanne icon_wink.gif

FromScratch Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 11:03pm
post #59 of 492

Luv ya too you oreo lovin' goat-woman. icon_wink.gif