Making Smbc...

Baking By FromScratch Updated 7 Nov 2014 , 10:59am by cazza1

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 3:00pm
post #241 of 492

hey guys! i have a question. when i made SMBC for a cake last thursday, i had some leftovers so i kept it in the fridge. now when i took out it's... weeping. it has this liquid that is just oozing out of it. i don't know what it could possibly be.

when i was making the meringue i added coffee granules to it so the coffee would melt without adding any water in fear of this happening but now without adding any water i was able to remove at least half a cup of coffee-colored liquid (i didn't taste it it was too scary for me). i couldn't get all of it out but i decided to whip it and it still came together very well, still fluffy and creamy. i was even able to pipe with it.

can anyone tell me what that liquid is and where it's coming from? i noticed when i was frosting the cake on thursday too that it had beads of liquid oozing out but only a little.

btw, here's the cake i made, first time frosting an entire cake with SMBC and first time with chocolate transfers. i'm embarrassed at sharing this cake with you but i'm semi-proud of it LOL i think it almost made my mama cry (happy tears!)

and here's a pic of the cupcakes i made with the SMBC just tonight

this is my third time making SMBC and the first time i've ever encountered this liquid. i am not gonna let anyone eat these cupcakes now. LOL hope to hear from you guys. sorry if this is too long.

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 3:06pm
post #242 of 492

Hmmm, I've been making SMBC for about 2 years now and I've never had that to happen. It must have something to do with the coffee granules. Or how did you bring it back to room temp? Just let it sit out, etc?

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 3:14pm
post #243 of 492

actually when i took it out of the fridge it wasn't really that hard, but the liquid was already present, not in a pool but kinda like droplets on top of it, when i spooned some of the icing back, there were more droplets and i ended up just standing the container on its side and letting it drip for like 10 minutes. it won't stop. icon_sad.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 3:16pm
post #244 of 492

Post the recipe you are using, so we can help you figure it out.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 3:46pm
post #245 of 492

i used the same one i used before except added coffee.

1 cup sugar
4 large egg whites
26 tablespoons butter, softened (3 sticks plus 2 tablespoons)

i doubled this btw and therefore had way too much leftover. i added a teaspoon of granulated coffee while the egg whites and sugar were on the double broiler.

ETA

btw i subbed 1/3 of the butter with shortening. i have crisco. i used the same amount before.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 3:57pm
post #246 of 492

I had this heppen when I added cofee granules to my SMBC too. I did it after it was made and they melted overnight and made it look gross.. it wasn't bad or anything and when I whipped it back up it was fine. Now I just add coffee to it. You add liquid with the vanilla and fruite purees and what not. SMBC can actually hold quite a bit of liquid before going too soft on you. When you add the coffee it doesn't do that separation thing, but the liquid wasn't anything to worry about. icon_smile.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 4:03pm
post #247 of 492

oh! so if i made the coffee instead of adding the granules this won't happen? (just to clarify) icon_biggrin.gif

FromScratch Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 4:34pm
post #248 of 492

So far it hasn't happened for me. I add strong coffee that has cooled to rm temp. I have left it for days with no separation. I usually do a mocha version.. a weaker version of my chocolate SMBC with coffee added and some espresso grounds thrown in. It's really good.

FromScratch Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 4:34pm
post #249 of 492

and that's actually coffee grinds.. not instant coffee. icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 4:35pm
post #250 of 492

Oh.. and if all you have is instant.. just re-consititute it before you add it in. icon_smile.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 4:53pm
post #251 of 492

thanks jkalman! icon_smile.gif will remember that when i make coffee SMBC again. it tasted like coffee ice cream, which i love!

btw, do you fold in chocolate bits in your SMBC? of course it won't be smooth but i thought it would be a nice addition to the texture you know, creamy and soft then crunchy.

FromScratch Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 4:56pm
post #252 of 492

I never have.. I don't even like chocolate chip ice cream icon_redface.gif.. but if you like chunks I am sure it'd be wonderful. Try mixing in some crushed oreos.. it's really good with chocolate cake.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 5:00pm
post #253 of 492

OHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! oreos!!!!!! okay...yeah it sounds fantastic icon_smile.gif it would look really good too.

pugmama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugmama1 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 6:08pm
post #254 of 492

Thanks EVERYONE for this thread! I have been wanting to make smbc for quite awhile but was....scared.... so thank you for all this great information! I am going to make it this weekend for my in-laws' 63rd wedding anniversary!

pugmama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugmama1 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 12:09am
post #255 of 492

I did it! I made SMBC this afternoon and it came out well. It had the right texture, went through all the stages, and was easier than I expected. I made the small version of the recipe and had plenty to ice 24 cupcakes with some left over. I followed the recipe exactly, including the 2 tbsp of vanilla and found that was too much vanilla for me. I have a question about flavoring the SMBC- what are your favorite flavorings and conbinations- and of course the amounts used , please!

need2sleep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
need2sleep Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 8:16pm
post #256 of 492

This icing is AWESOME!!!

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 6:23pm
post #257 of 492

lateley my SMBC is not working out. it never gets full and fluffy.
sometimes its during the cooking/whipping stage that it never gets full.
other times its after i add the butter it "deflates" but never gets its body back.

any ideas on why this could be happening.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 6:55pm
post #258 of 492

when you add the butter, is it too cold or too warm? i have noticed that temperature is a HUGE deal when making SMBC.

thanks for bumping the thread btw!

i also have a question, have you guys tried adding peanut butter to SMBC? what about cream cheese? how much?

i'm gonna make a chocolate peanut butter cake for my birthday and I really wanna use SMBC and not a PS frosting.

TIA!

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 7:38pm
post #259 of 492

I would like to know that too for white chocolate.

FromScratch Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 7:43pm
post #260 of 492

zakia6.. you might have some grease in your bowls. Grease will interfere with the meringue reaching it's fullest.. also, if it's too warm it can take a LONG time to get the right consistency. Try letting it sit at room temp for a while and try whipping it up again. If it was fluffy before you added the butter it should be fine. icon_smile.gif

For adding cream cheese I just do it to taste, but one 8oz brick in the 5 egg version is good. Whip the cream cheese that is at room temp and then fold in teh SMBC by hand. If you whip it in teh mixer it can separate and it won't come back from my experience. Peanut butter you can just mix some in on low.

White chocolate I'd say 6 oz for a 5 egg batch would be good. icon_smile.gif

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 7:46pm
post #261 of 492

Thanks Jeanne! Can't wait to try it that way!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 11:05pm
post #262 of 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

For adding cream cheese I just do it to taste, but one 8oz brick in the 5 egg version is good. Whip the cream cheese that is at room temp and then fold in teh SMBC by hand.

Bless your heart for including the amount, I have always wondered and therefore been afraid to try.

saap1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saap1204 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 1:23am
post #263 of 492

I love this stuff! I just made it the other night and added caramel to it--out of this world! Everyone who tried it really liked it. I have also made Toba Garrett's French vanilla buttercream, which is my 11 year old daughter's favorite, and is similar to the SMBC, IMO. I do not know if I will ever go back to regular buttercream!

need2sleep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
need2sleep Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 1:52am
post #264 of 492

jkalman - you are so nice!! Thanks for all the help you give. I've also switched to SMBC from buttercream. I love it!!

FromScratch Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 2:13am
post #265 of 492

Thank you so much for your kind words.. icon_smile.gif I am happy that you like it so much. It's all I use too.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 4:46am
post #266 of 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by saap1204

I love this stuff! I just made it the other night and added caramel to it--out of this world! Everyone who tried it really liked it. I have also made Toba Garrett's French vanilla buttercream, which is my 11 year old daughter's favorite, and is similar to the SMBC, IMO. I do not know if I will ever go back to regular buttercream!

Hi,
Is the Toba recipe here on cc?
Thanks, Deb

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 5:32am
post #267 of 492

thanks jkalman! and i love your new avatar! it's so pink, which is my favorite color. icon_smile.gif

am glad this thread has been bumped up. I wanna see more converts! *evil grin*

FromScratch Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 12:09pm
post #268 of 492

LOL.. thanks for the props on my avatar.. that flower was a pain in the heiney to make.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 2:05pm
post #269 of 492

jkalman - can I ask where your nearby cake supplier is - I'm in northern MA and the only thing around here are Michael's or AC Moore thumbsdown.gif
Looking for more variety and really don't want to have to order online all the time. I plan on making this SMBC real soon - thanks for sharing!

FromScratch Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 3:24pm
post #270 of 492

I don't know if I'd say it has a HUGE variety, but I go t a place called Eaton's in Hooksett, NH. It's 20 minutes from me. I still tend to do most of my shopping on-line. They don't have a big inventory and are pretty much like an expanded cake section at Michael's. They have some gumpaste cutters but they are all from Creative Cutters and they have VERY few tools other than the wilton stuff. They have some dusts and americolor gels and loads of candy making stuff because they make candy there. I wish we had something better.

I tend to wait until I need a bunch of stuff and order it from global sugar art.. what I wouldn't give to live 20 minutes from Alan and his wonderous store. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%