Square Pan Baking Question

Decorating By tootie0809 Updated 11 Jul 2008 , 2:09pm by -K8memphis

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 8:59pm
post #1 of 16

I keep running into this problem with my square cakes when baking. They don't rise as high on the corners of the cake as the middle. In fact, the corners of the cake don't even rise as high as the cake pan, so when I level, I have to go all the way down to the height of the corners, which never rise even to the top of the pan so I'm not getting a full 2 inch high cake. I've tried pushing the batter with a spatula higher in the corners before putting them in the oven, but it still is happening. Any tips or suggestions on how to get my corners to rise higher? TIA!

15 replies
sweet_T7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_T7 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 9:04pm
post #2 of 16

I'm sorry I don't know but would love to know the answer also as I've had this problem, too...so here's a bump icon_smile.gif

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 9:05pm
post #3 of 16

possibly use the flower nail in the middle to create even baking, or the baking strips??? You might also want to lower the temp of your oven. I bake at 325 all the time... no matter what... slow baking is better for me... usually don't have a problem...

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 9:21pm
post #4 of 16

Get some bake even strips! I love them and use them on all pans right down to 4". The strips lower the temp. of the outside edges allowing them to rise before they crust over just the the middle of the cake.

Also I use parchment on the bottom of the pan and only grease everything - no flour. This also helps the cake sides rise... just be careful the first time you try it - I was so used to over filling my pans to get a good height that it spilled into my oven.

Etchlain09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Etchlain09 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 9:25pm
post #5 of 16

I had the same problem. I ,too, lowered my baking temperature, and also wrapped strips of wet terry-cloth towel around my pans, pinning them together with a straight pin. Same principle as the baking strips, but alot cheaper, and you can cut them to the exact size you need. Cakes bake from the outside in, so it pushes the batter up in the middle as it bakes. By insulating the outside, it cooks slower. Hope this helps!

Etchlain09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Etchlain09 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 9:25pm
post #6 of 16

I had the same problem. I ,too, lowered my baking temperature, and also wrapped strips of wet terry-cloth towel around my pans, pinning them together with a straight pin. Same principle as the baking strips, but alot cheaper, and you can cut them to the exact size you need. Cakes bake from the outside in, so it pushes the batter up in the middle as it bakes. By insulating the outside, it cooks slower. Hope this helps!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 9:35pm
post #7 of 16

Ditto on 325 and bake even strips.

tootie0809 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 10:55pm
post #8 of 16

Great suggestions! I have been using a heating core, especially for my 10 inch and bigger pans, but I hate using my bake even strips (the straight pins and me do not get along) so I haven't used them for a while. I especially have problems getting my bake even strips tightly around my square pans, but if it helps with my corners baking more evenly, I will deal with it. I'm going to make another chocolate cake tonight so I will try these suggestions and hope it brings me better results. Thanks!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 11:02pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

ditto.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 11:04pm
post #10 of 16

if you make your own bake even strips from terry cloth towels....

instead of pins --

hooks and eyes

or

snaps

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 11:17pm
post #11 of 16

I use all metal paper clips on my bake even strips and they work great. They're easy to attach and I don't poke myself! Just make sure you use the larger sized and that they are all metal.

pjmw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjmw Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 11:18pm
post #12 of 16

flower nail or baking strips and 325...every timeicon_smile.gif

Denae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denae Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 11:19pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

ditto.

ditto. ditto. if not bake even strips, def a heating core!

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 11:59pm
post #14 of 16

Hi tootie0809, just saw your post. One thing noone has mentioned. Try dropping your, filled, pan SEVERAL times on the counter before you put them into the oven. I've noticed my batter really getting into the shape of the corner when I do this. thumbs_up.gif It also knocks all the air bubbles to the top and levels the whole thing!

tootie0809 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 1:47pm
post #15 of 16

LOVE the large paper clip idea! I will most definitely try that. I've poked myself so many times with those straight pins. Either I poke myself or I just can't get the pin to go in and come back out of the strip to make that tight fit. I had no idea you could also make your own bake even strips. Do I just use regular terry cloth and get it wet like a bake even strip?

I'll try that idea of dropping the pan several times to get the batter into the corners too. Thanks all!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 2:09pm
post #16 of 16

Bake a larger cake and trim off the edges.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%