Make Lemon Cake More Lemony?

Decorating By Muse Updated 10 Jul 2008 , 7:37pm by Muse

Muse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Muse Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:55pm
post #1 of 19

If I were to use a mix for lemon cake and want the taste to be stronger what would be the best way to do that? I was thinking fresh lemon juice, grated lemon zest, and lemon extract. But how much of what would I need?

Darci

18 replies
gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 19

maybe lemon oil or extract?

lorannoils.com

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 4:21pm
post #3 of 19

I would add some lemon extract. Depending on how much more flavor you want, 1/2 to 1 tsp.

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 4:54pm
post #4 of 19

If you want a more tart lemon taste, you will get that from the lemon juice. I would add one tablespoon, then maybe teaspoon at a time after that.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 4:59pm
post #5 of 19

add some zest too.

i only use lemon extract, it's lemony enough for me. lemon is so yum. icon_smile.gif

andysprite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andysprite Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 5:00pm
post #6 of 19

I made a lemon cake with raspberry filling for a baby shower last week. I added 1 pkg. of lemon pudding and about 2 tsp. lemon juice to my lemon cake mix. Everyone loved it!

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 5:00pm
post #7 of 19

You'll get the most flavor extra flavor from using lemon zest, but an extra teaspoon or so of good quality lemon extract will get you there as well. Lemon juice is not as concentrated and flavorful as the lemon zest.

As for how much: if it's already a lemon mix, you probably only need the zest of 1 lemon.

Generally when I make a lemon pound cake, I add the zest of 2 lemons, juice of 2 lemons, and 1-2 teaspoons of lemon extract. That makes a medium - lemony cake. If I want to pump that up, I add more zest. If I'm just serving it as a pound cake, it also gets a thick lemon glaze with more lemon zest, lemon juice, and 10x sugar.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 5:09pm
post #8 of 19

HerBoudoir, your avatar is so cute and funny icon_smile.gif

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 5:10pm
post #9 of 19

i am glad that someone posted this question. i am experimenting with my lemon cake recipe and i am looking for a sharper taste.

i find that lemon pie filling has a good tang but has anyone ever tried adding lemon gelatin to their cake batter?

how about adding lorann's lemon oil with a bit of their tart & sour product?

nutcase68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nutcase68 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 5:23pm
post #10 of 19

Ok I hope my link works. This is Jenny's Lemon Pucker Up Cake. Cann't get any more lemoney than this. I love this cake. I made my stadium cake out of it and one of my decorated oval cakes out of it. A keeper.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3983-Jennys-Pucker-Up-Lemon-Cake.html

jennym0904 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennym0904 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 5:28pm
post #11 of 19

i agree with the other posters- add zest as well, just make sure it's finely chopped and there's no white (pith?). America's test kitchen has a recipe that's supposed to be very lemony (lemon bundt cake, suppose it can be converted into a round or square?)- i've never tried it but they do a great job researching to make the item. good luck! thumbs_up.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 5:30pm
post #12 of 19

Are you planning to fill the cake? Lemon curd adds just the right ZING.

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 5:31pm
post #13 of 19

I ca't tell you what to do, but, I can tell you what not to do.

I once made a lemon cake by starting with a white cake recipe and then subbing the 1 cup of milk for 1 cup of fresh lemon juice. HUGE MISTAKE!

it was so gross, you couldn't even eat it because it made you choke.

the next time I made it I used lemon zest and lemon extract and a bit of lemon juice, much better

ShayShay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShayShay Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 5:34pm
post #14 of 19

substitute lemonade for the liquid in your recipe. I also mix lemon jello with either whipping cream or Rich's Bettercreme for the filling in my lemon cakes. yum! Just make the jello with one cup of boiling water and cool until it is starting to set, then mix it with the cream and fill. It is kind of like a mouse when it is done.

Should have stated that I add the jello after whipping the cream.

scoobydid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoobydid Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 5:46pm
post #15 of 19

ShayShay,

For your lemon mousse, you just use whipping cream, whipped and then add lemon jello (made with 1 c of boiling water)? It means a cake filled with it would have to be refrigerated, right? I need a lemon filling for a white cake next week and am looking for ideas. Thanks.

ShayShay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShayShay Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 5:52pm
post #16 of 19

If you are going to use whipping cream it needs to be refrigerated, but if you use the Rich's it can stand up to sitting out. That's why I use either one depending on the occasion and what I used to ice the outside. I use different flavours of jello for differnt cakes. Everyone seems to like it. The texture isn't quite as creamy as a mousse but still really good. Just cool the jello until it is just starting to set. you know that really thick soupy mixture, then add it to the already whipped whipping cream or Rich's. Really easy and tasty too!

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 6:24pm
post #17 of 19

that lemon filling sounds wonderful. could you use cool whip? that would be ok out of the fridge.

I am going to try this for my next cake for sure.

hamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hamie Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 6:28pm
post #18 of 19

I use a lemon mix then add lemon pudding, just right icon_lol.gif

Muse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Muse Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 7:37pm
post #19 of 19

Thanks for all the tips! I am definitely going to try the mousse filling.

Darci

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%