All These Buttercreams - Help!

Decorating By ThreeDGirlie Updated 5 Nov 2012 , 7:02am by MMueller

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 9:24pm
post #31 of 46

drakegore - you can use pasteurized eggs in IMBC for safety. I've also read that some people make it with meringue powder. I don't know how to do this, but if you are still very afraid off egg whites that might be an option.

IMBC is my icing for everything. I've tried PS buttercreams a few times and hate the taste and texture. IMBC is just too tasty to pass up. I actually don't flavor mine at all. Just eggs, butter, sugar and water. Delicious!

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 11:40pm
post #32 of 46

jana... Can you share what recipe you use for the IMBC ?

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 1:10am
post #33 of 46

Welcome to CC drakegore! As sayhellojana mentioned, IMBC is easily made using pasteurized egg whites. I have found that I cannot get Just Whites (or is it All Whites, I always forget LOL) to whip up, but I can get the generic supermarket brand to peaks, and also the kind at Trader Joe's. Powdered egg whites work well too, with an almost imperceptible difference in taste. I prefer IMBC to SMBC only because I have a hard time not scrambling the eggs icon_cry.gif, and also it is said to be just a teeny bit more stable at higher temps.

If you are having trouble using it to decorate, check out this great thread of photos of IMBC decorated cakes! http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-404613-.html

Fiddlesticks, I know you didn't ask me icon_lol.gif but I really like the Cake Bible "Mousseline Buttercream". You can find it on the web. There are other good ones around here but that one works so well, I've never had any desire to change.

The thread I just posted has amazing smoothing tips if you need them...they are on p2 or 3, from ShirleyW and Antonia74. I used these techniques on my Surfin' Santa cake and got perfectly glassy IMBC for the first time ever! Yay!

fiddlesticks Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 2:06am
post #34 of 46

ceshell.. Thanks for the reply !

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 5:13am
post #35 of 46

fiddle - I use "Classic Vanilla Buttercream" from foodnetwork. I know it has less eggs and more butter than the recipes used by Antonia74 and SherlyW

fiddlesticks Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 1:40pm
post #36 of 46

Thanks jana!

fiddlesticks Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 3:56pm
post #37 of 46

Hey jana ! I found a "Classic Vanilla Buttercream" On food network. Is it the one by Gale Gand?
Its like 4 ingredients, it sounds yummy!

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 5:52pm
post #38 of 46

thank you ceshell!
that was a terrific link! i love my SMBC but i do get frustrated that it seems too soft to do flowers. i think my next adventure in caking will be to try the IMBC if i can find the powdered egg whites or a Trader Joe's (i do have the meringue powder but the thread indicated this was not the best choice). i make a lot of cakes for kids (i get very excited when i get to make cakes for adults, lol). and i just cannot risk the safety issues with raw eggs so your suggestions are wonderful.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 11:42pm
post #39 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakegore

thank you ceshell!
that was a terrific link! i love my SMBC but i do get frustrated that it seems too soft to do flowers. i think my next adventure in caking will be to try the IMBC if i can find the powdered egg whites or a Trader Joe's (i do have the meringue powder but the thread indicated this was not the best choice). i make a lot of cakes for kids (i get very excited when i get to make cakes for adults, lol). and i just cannot risk the safety issues with raw eggs so your suggestions are wonderful.

You are most welcome! As I mentioned, as long as you don't get the major commercial brand (All Whites) you can use carton ew at the normal supermarket too. I can never remember the brand, but the generic (Albertson's, in my case) worked as did something like Sunnybrook Farms or something like that. Even though ALL of the cartons state that they will not whip up. I guess they have to cover their butts. Give them a try! I wouldn't use meringue powder either, for the reasons I'm sure you've already read about. Also to note, if have leftovers of the liquid ew, you can freeze them thumbs_up.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 5 Sep 2009 , 11:03am
post #40 of 46

this is such a great thread! thanks for all the tips!

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 6:41pm
post #41 of 46

wow there is so much to learn

lea74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lea74 Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 1:13pm
post #42 of 46

Bethkay, I also use buttercreams that need refrigeration. My buttercream is pudding or custard (flour, milk, sugar) based then whipped with butter. I put a label inside each box that says store - refrigerated! So far I had no problems....

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 2:28pm
post #43 of 46

The "taste" section in my newspaper recently celebrated their 40th anniv, so they had a nearby bakery make a cake for them...the cake featured was frosted with a 50/50 blend of American and SMBC...the baker liked to mix it because she liked the taste and smoothness of it.

Anyways, I recently tried it with "Mai tai" mixture that proved to be too sweet for just american, and remained too buttery for SMBC...the result was incredible...I used it to frost cupcakes, tried to post a pix, put apparently it's too big to post. it's on my blog tho. putacupcakeinit. blogspot. com if you wanna see it.

aej6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aej6 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 12:50am
post #44 of 46

Great info, wow...

cloetzu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cloetzu Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 1:52am
post #45 of 46

just found this thread and can't wait to try making some IMBC! thanks for sharing everyone!!!

MMueller Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MMueller Posted 5 Nov 2012 , 7:02am
post #46 of 46

AThis is a great thread. I'm looking to try the German Buttercream very soon. For Halloween I made French Macarons and French Buttercream for the very first time. I thought the buttercream was way too buttery and pretty horrible despite the nice texture. I filled the macarons with it anyway and took them to the party. 60 macarons gone in about 10 minutes and lots of raves! Shows you what I know about what tastes good I guess! lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%