Anyone Have A Not Too Sweet Icing Suggestion?

Baking By LisaI Updated 13 Jul 2008 , 11:39pm by LisaI

LisaI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaI Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:02pm
post #1 of 12

I'm a complete newbie to decorating, and am taking the Wilton I course. Basically am doing it so I can make the family cakes for occasions (birthday, anniversary etc.)
For class I have to use the Class Buttercream recipe, but my family doesn't like such a sweet icing, so for the future I am hoping to find an icing that will decorate as well, but not be so sweet! I prefer something that doesn't have perishables in it (ie butter, milk) but if all of the options have those, I won't hesitate to use it!
In case it is helpful, I live in upstate NY, so summers can be hot and humid, and winter can be hot and dry (inside, with a wood stove). I understand that temps and humidity can have an effect.

Any suggestions from those experienced here would be great!

11 replies
awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:21pm
post #2 of 12

Have you ever made or used one of the European buttercreams? Italian meringue buttercream (IMBC), Swiss meringue buttercream (SMBC) or French meringue buttercream (FMBC)? AWESOME stuff!

Here's a link to the IMBC recipe I use:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2426-0-Italian-Meringue-Buttercream--Shirleys-Method.html

danijus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danijus Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:32pm
post #3 of 12

I didn't have much luck with IMBC. It turned soupy on me. SMBC is easier to make. You can also try indydebis recipe. Heres the link

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6992-0-Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing.html

LisaI Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:37pm
post #4 of 12

Thanks for the links, I will check them out!

With the different BC's what is the difference between them? Is it in the decorating uses, properties or just flavor? As I said I am a complete newbie icon_smile.gif

scotiascrapper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scotiascrapper Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:41pm
post #5 of 12

When I started Course one a couple of months ago, I only used the class BC once and promptly switched to Indydebi's recipe.... everyone loves it!!

awolf24 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:20pm
post #6 of 12

Lots of different threads on this...try searching for IMBC or SMBC in the forums area.

I think they all pretty much taste similar (vary depending on the amount of vanilla or flavorings you add), but the methods to make them are different. For example, for SMBC, I think you heat the egg whites, while for IMBC, you heat the water/sugar mixture.

Also, they are very stable but softer than American buttercream recipes so people have had differing experiences with piping various decorating elements. I've done some borders, stars, leaves, etc. with no problem. Not everyone has had success with roses and other flowers, so that may require some trial and error on your part. icon_smile.gif HTH!

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 4:40pm
post #7 of 12

This is perishable & soft, but can be thickened with little more cr.ch. & ps. You can do moderate decorations with it. In my book the best tasting frosting! thumbs_up.gif

Whipped Cream Frosting

Serves/Yields: 1 frosting for a 2 layer cake. (12 servings)
Prep. Time: 1 Hour 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 25 Minutes
Category: Frostings
Difficulty: easy

A heavenly coating for any cake. Whipped cream is gently folded into sweetened cream cheese.

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 cup white sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups heavy cream

1 In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar salt and vanilla until smooth. In a small bowl, whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Fold into the cream cheese mixture.

Source: Tom Parker
Contributed by: on Monday, April 26. 2004 at 16:41:07

More Recipes of

Please take a second and rate this recipe:
Average score: 4.75 ()
Votes: 70

LisaI Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 6:58pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks to everyone, I appreciate the responses so much!

I checked all of these and they all sound like they would be sweeter than the one the class uses... More sugar I mean. (except the whipped cream one icon_smile.gif)

The one we use has
1 Cup of shortening
1 tsp flavor
2 Tbsp water
1 lb confectioner's sugar
1 Tbsp Meringue powder
pinch of salt

As an example, Indydebi's uses (I think it was) 1/3 C more shortening, but a pound more sugar...
so wouldn't it be sweeter?

awolf24 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 9:02pm
post #9 of 12

Well, the European buttercreams are much less sweet than pretty much any recipe using a butter/shortening and powdered sugar combo. They are more buttery and smooth. Maybe you could whip up a few trial batches to see what recipe gives you the flavor you are looking for.

LisaI Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 9:35pm
post #10 of 12

Great awolf24! I may do that this weekend.

awolf24 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 12:50am
post #11 of 12

Glad I could help! icon_smile.gif Did you try any recipes?

LisaI Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 11:39pm
post #12 of 12

No didn't get to it. Had to do my second week cake for the class and my son's 4th birthday cake, so I got way too busy. icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%