Dummy Cake Help!!!

Decorating By lorijohernandez Updated 10 Jul 2008 , 4:28am by plbennett_8

lorijohernandez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijohernandez Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 5

I am doing my first dummy cake for a wedding next week. The top tier will be real cake, the bottom two styromfoam. They are square tiers.

The bride wants them covered in buttercream. Is this possible? I can't figure out how to get buttercream to stick to syrofoam icon_razz.gif Or am I better off using fondant on the sytrofoam and buttercream smoothed with Viva paper towel for the top tier? I'm afraid of using fondant because I'm not so good at doing the corners - I always get pleats...

Any advice???? Thanks!

4 replies
snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 6:01pm
post #2 of 5

Buttercream sticks just fine to a styrofoam dummy without requiring any dummy prep work. I can't tell from your OP if you are having issues with it or just concerned. If you are having issues, please explain and I'm sure someone here can help.

lorijohernandez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijohernandez Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 8:22pm
post #3 of 5

I'm just concerned icon_smile.gif I haven't even tried it yet, but I started to panic when I couldn't seem to find any instructions on covering dummies with buttercream - they all use fondant.

So I ice it like a normal cake, huh? Sounds easy enough. Do I just scrape the icing off when I'm done with it? Someone gave me the cake dummies and they want them back....

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 8:39pm
post #4 of 5

You could even cover the dummies with saran wrap to make it easier to remove the BC. If you leave it on long enough, the buttercream will harden and sort of chip off, but since you need to return them you might consider the saran.

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 4:28am
post #5 of 5

Press & Seal... I haven't done it, but have had several people that I know suggest covering it with Glad Press & Seal...

Good Luck! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%