Major Potential For Disaster!!!!

Decorating By BellaSweet Updated 13 Jul 2008 , 2:49am by brnrlvr

BellaSweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaSweet Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 1:57pm
post #1 of 11

So I have been asked by my cousin to do her wedding cake. Exciting as it will be my first wedding cake. However the colors she has chosen are well...the dresses are like a purple berry color and she wants the darkest red rose I can find. The purple she wants as the ribbon around the bootom of each tier. Please tell me if this will look alright. My family will be there at the wedding and there is great potential for future orders. She also wants this all on white buttercream. Purple and dark red on white!!! I can picture it and it's not good. Please someone tell me it will be okay. Or should I push for a different color rose. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

10 replies
apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 2:06pm
post #2 of 11

would she be willing to add some other flowers, so that you could have some mix? I don't think it would look as bad if you had a variety of flowers, and maybe add some white roses too. They do have lavendar roses too, maybe you could push for that?

debo_04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debo_04 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 2:07pm
post #3 of 11

I'd get one of the bridesmaids dresses, take it to the flower shop, see if I can find a rose that is compatable, go home, make some icing in those colors and make a few cupcakes for her to see............if she likes them then your good to go, if she doesn't, make a suggestion or two and maybe you both can come up with a happy medium and everyting will be fine. Your family gets your cupcakes and you get insurance that your cake will not be a disaster!

smoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoore Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 2:08pm
post #4 of 11

Actually, I really like a deep purple and deep red together .... I've got flowers in my garden that are those colors and they look great together. But then again, I also like purple with orange. icon_smile.gif If you're making the flowers yourself just have the ribbon on hand when you're coloring the fondant/gumpaste. Those colors can actually have a very royal look to them when together.

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 2:12pm
post #5 of 11

I think it would look very pretty just make sure your butter cream is a very white butter cream so the dark colors will pop out I love the red, white and black weddings I think they are so elegant I would go to the store and look at towels in those colors or go to a fabric shop and look at ribbon put those color against white fabric and you get the real feel of what your working with. icon_wink.gif

Molly2

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 2:16pm
post #6 of 11

I don't think the colors sound bad together. If everything at the wedding will be this way it should all flow together. Maybe you could do a sample just to check it out yourself. I know what you mean about worrying about future orders. I have a wedd. cake to do soon. I'm not a fan of what she chose, I guess if she likes it maybe others will too. What we like isn't always what everyone else will like, though we hope we do have the upper hand.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 2:18pm
post #7 of 11

I think that will look great - very dramatic. And if those are the colors she has already chosen, I think that is what you have to work with.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 2:25pm
post #8 of 11

Get samples of the colors she wants, make icing in those colors and do a SMALL sample cake with the colors and ribbon. Then you'll know if she likes it and, if yes, then you're good to go. I think the colors sound wonderful, bright, and bold.

BellaSweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaSweet Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 2:36pm
post #9 of 11

I think these colors are beautiful. Even together. It just makes me nervous thinking about those dark colors on a stark white cake. I am one to where purple with bright blue. I think those contrasting colors really compliment. Maybe I'm overthinking this. Making a sample cake or cupcakes with what she chose is a great idea and I will definitley do that. Thanks ya'll.

zoomzone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomzone Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 4:10am
post #10 of 11

By all means- do sample cupcakes or a small cake. Years ago when I was married, I wanted the roses on my cake to match my bouquet. (Young and inexperienced)
I had Tropicana roses ( which are vivid orange-red). My cake looked so garish, but it was what I asked for. Had I viewed a mock up of the cake I would have opted for a different look.
Maybe part of it is the way it was done. Her colors may look great in the right setting. If you do cupcakes- you can show a few different options.

brnrlvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brnrlvr Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:49am
post #11 of 11

I love red and purple togeather! The towels in my bathroom are that color! Maybe you could do an off white cake and it wouldn't be so stark?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%