Pastillage Help!

Decorating By Molly2 Updated 10 Jul 2008 , 12:18pm by Molly2

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 7:02am
post #1 of 8

I need help with pastillage I am making a cake part of it will be covered with pastillage I have never work with tis type of sugar dough my question is I will be using styrofoam and will cover it with the pastillagdo should I put butter cream under the pastillage or can anyone tell me how to do this

Molly2

7 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 9:03am
post #2 of 8

why are you using pastillage? You normally use this dough for building structures, as it dries quickly and very hard. To cover styrofoam i would use fondant, it is much more manageable

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:59am
post #3 of 8

I agree with peg818, I also use fondant to cover dummie caks not pastillage. It gets really hard when its dry. icon_smile.gif

jess85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess85 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 12:49pm
post #4 of 8

yep go with fondant, pastillage goes very hard and brittle and will crack easily. i wouldn't use butercream as it will go a little funky over time i would brush the dummy with some alcohol or piping gel to make it stick

Molly2 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 1:46pm
post #5 of 8

OK what I'm making is a football stadium and on one end it will be made out of styrofoam, that end of the stadium is rounded I'm trying to get that effect I have the styrofoam cut into 3 seprate pieces two rounded on each end and the middle is rectangel I need something that will harden and stand up this part of the cake will not be eaten in another thread I'm told not to use pipe gel icon_confused.gif so if any one can help please I need help this cake is due this weekend

Molly

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 2:13pm
post #6 of 8

You can brush a little bit of water on the dummy cake and cover it with Fondant.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 9:13am
post #7 of 8

I use water to adhere fondant to a dummy. No sense in using product when water works just as well.

Molly2 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 12:18pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you I will try water
Molly2 thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%