Explain Petit Fours Please!

Decorating By kutabby Updated 9 Jul 2008 , 3:46am by FromScratch

kutabby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kutabby Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 3:13am
post #1 of 6

I know they are tiny cakes. But how are they made? Just cut out of a normal sheet cake? Are they filled or left plain? Do you cover w/ buttercream or always fondant?
As you can tell, I've never dealt w/ them. I'm not even sure I've seen them in real life icon_redface.gif
So, and info would be grand! Thanks so much!!
Tabby

5 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 3:19am
post #2 of 6

There are many ways to make them. Some people bake a sheet cake and torte it to fill and cover. The way I do it is to bake thin sheets of cake (like something you would use for a jelly roll) in a full size sheet pan. I then cut that large sheet into quarters, and layer with my fillings, then cut to appropriate size and glaze/decorate as desired.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 3:23am
post #3 of 6

Think of Little Debbie cakes only smaller and fancier. (and more expensive!)

I had to make some for my sister's birthday and so I did some research on them recently. They are cut from a sheet cake. They can be filled and also the layers can be brushed with syrup. Usually they're covered with poured fondant. I covered mine with rolled fondant because that's what my sister wanted. It kept them nice and moist.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 3:28am
post #4 of 6

Just remember anything can be a petit four--it's the size that makes it so. What most people think of as a petit four (tiny glazed layer cakes) are just one variety. Also, they don't have to be covered in poured fondant--that's just a popular coating because it's easily tinted in pretty pastel colors for special occasions. You can coat them in pate a glace, ganache, a chocolate glaze... the possibilities are endless. You can also fill them with almost anything you would put in a cake... not just jam! We had an entire unit on petit four in school and my eyes were opened! We even had to develop several original petit fours for an exam. Once you make them you'll see why hand decorated petit four are so expensive!

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 3:29am
post #5 of 6

Petite Fours are wonderful to eat and horrible to make.

Can you tell I have issues with the little buggers?

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 3:46am
post #6 of 6

They are cute and fun.. so long as you aren't making them.. LOL.

Before I ever make them again.. I am getting an agbay deluxe leveler.. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%