How Can I Get Them To Look Like This?

Decorating By sweetneice Updated 8 Jul 2008 , 10:20pm by sweetneice

sweetneice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetneice Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 9:13pm
post #1 of 5

Hey all! I'm so confused on how to do these petit fours right! They are to be fondant covered and they are the favors for the wedding as well. The wedding is August 9th and she opted to have these instead of cake slices. How do I get them tall enough, cut them right, and cover smoothly with fondant? PLEASSSSSSSSE HELP! I know if I have the right info I would be able to do it with not problems (at least I hope! icon_wink.gif ), but somebody give me the plan...or at least a start! I really want to do a good job so the faster I get the info the quicker I can practice. Thanks guys!

icon_biggrin.gif Happy Baking

4 replies
sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 9:22pm
post #2 of 5

baking (no space) 911 (no space) dot com has real good info in petit fours. i have not done them, but I read about it there!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 9:23pm
post #3 of 5

I made petit fours for my sister's birthday. Here's a picture (they're clustered around the base of the tiered cake) http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1229820

Anyhow, petit fours are usually covered in poured fondant rather than rolled fondant. My sister wanted me to use rolled fondant, so I did. I baked a 9x13 and cut the edges off. I leveled the top, and then I torted it so that I had two layers. I spread a layer of buttercream between them and then another layer on top. Then I put waxed paper on top of that and put the whole cake in the freezer overnight so it could freeze solid. When I took it out, I used deep cookie cutters to get the triangle shapes. I also did some in squares, which is the best shape for petit fours because you don't have as much wasted cake. Those I measured with a ruler and just cut with a knife while they were still frozen. I put all of the cut pieces of cake back into the freezer and took out four at a time to cover in fondant. I covered them while they were still frozen. The fondant was sticky but dried nicely overnight. I rolled it a lot thinner than I do for a cake.

Covering them with the fondant is just like covering a bigger cake...roll it out, put it on top, then open out any creases and smooth it down, then cut around the edges.

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 9:36pm
post #4 of 5

Very pretty, Texas_Rose! I don't know that I would have the patience to make all of those. You did an outstanding job!

sweetneice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetneice Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 10:20pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you soooo much guys! TEXAS ROSE ROCKS!!!!!! Go girl! You did a beautiful job! Thanks for the detailed information! I'm going to try it out in a little bit. If anybody else has anything to add........Bring it on! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%