First Tasting - Any Advice?

Decorating By mlharvell Updated 8 Jul 2008 , 6:35pm by mlharvell

mlharvell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlharvell Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 3

Hello, fellow cakers!

I have my first tasting coming up in less than two weeks and I'm both nervous and excited.

Since I've never done one before, I'm not really sure how they work. I've asked the bride to bring ideas, swatches, invitations, etc. I have some general sketches (rounds and square) ready to go for making a sketch of her cake.

Really, I'm looking for any advice anyone has: What works? What doesn't? Does anyone have a set of "standard" questions that they ask each bride (if so, could you please provide)? Any other tips/suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

2 replies
rkljazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rkljazz Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 6:08pm
post #2 of 3

Hey, sounds like you're off to a good start asking the bride to have ideas. I'm no expert and I've only done one consultation but what helped me is taking notes while she talked. I also had her look at pictures of cakes online ahead of time so she could tell me what she liked/didn't like. Know what is within your skill range so you don't commit to more than you can do, and have a price estimation ready based on the number of slices she wants. Good luck, you'll do great!

mlharvell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlharvell Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 6:35pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks so much for the encouragement!! I just want to make sure I cover everything at the tasting so I don't have to go back to the bride a million times and bother her with questions I forgot to ask. I also don't want to sell myself short by undercharging. I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed and pray. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%