Cake Batter / Pan Question - Please Help

Decorating By rox00 Updated 8 Jul 2008 , 4:39pm by rox00

rox00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rox00 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 12:32pm
post #1 of 6

Hi there.. I just began dabbling in cake decorating earlier this year. My Wilton instructor suggested this site - so glad she did - You are all awesome - I can't stay off. icon_biggrin.gif

Up until now all my cakes have been for practice and then I took them to work. This weekend I'm making my 1st official cake, for our family picnic.

I am using my new Hexogon pan set. Making a 2 layer 12in Orange cake and then 2 layer 9in Red Velvet cake.
Since there is only 1 pan of each size the problem is what to do with the cake batter while the 1st cake is baking?
Can I just refridgerate it for the 1 hour that it will take for the 1st cake to bake & cool?
If not any suggestions how to do this?
I really am trying to avoid having to make 2 separate batches of each cake flavor.

Thanks so much

5 replies
nicole379 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicole379 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 2:59pm
post #2 of 6

I have this same question! I'm glad you asked it. Hopefully we will get a response icon_smile.gif

I've often wondered if I'm just going to have to save and buy duplicates of each pan I have so I can bake them 2 at a time. Right now I'm leaving it out on the counter with a damp towel over the bowl in between baking times and the second layer always comes out more domed or rounded than the first fresh one that goes in.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 3:16pm
post #3 of 6

i've even refrigerated batter over night -- like 24hrs -- and it still worked just fine.

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 6

I put mine in the frig covered in saran wrap. When the 1st cake has about 15 minutes left in baking I take it from the frig to bring it back to room temp. I've never had any problems. I always worry about food posion so I never leave mine sitting out for an hour or so and since I bake at a low temp it takes my cakes almost an hour to cook if not longer.

HTH

tenleysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tenleysmommy Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 3:19pm
post #5 of 6

I refridgerate all the time and never have a problem!Good Luck with your first cake and we welcome both of you!I hope you are ready to give up all your free time for us icon_lol.gif

rox00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rox00 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 4:39pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you all so much. I'll refridgerate it until about 15 minutes before I'm ready to bake. icon_cool.gif

Keeping my fingers crossed that it turns out ok. If it does I'll post pictures. I'm doing the Hexagon cake w/family pictures on the sides (I think its called a memory cake)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%