Dec 21 2012

Lounge By Mike1394 Updated 13 Jul 2008 , 4:54pm by Kim_in_CajunCountry

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 12:22am
post #1 of 23

If your not familiar with the date, It's the date the Mayan calendar ends. Some speculate it's the apocolypse. Some say there will be a polar shift. Some say there will be a 5-10 deg axis shift. Some say it's hogwash. What do you all say?

Mike

22 replies
maryak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryak Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 12:33am
post #2 of 23

I've heard of this. Not to sure what to make of it. Some people also say that there will be a religious aspect to it and a "cleansing" of the world. Really though, how can someone ever know. It'll be the same as everyone thinking the world was gonna end when we hit the year 2000. Too much speculation and not enough facts.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 12:36am
post #3 of 23

maryak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryak Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 12:38am
post #4 of 23

Ha ha! I was gonna say that it was just a bunch of people putting something together but this captures it so much better!!

PattyLen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyLen Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 12:45am
post #5 of 23

Makes me think of Y2K. icon_surprised.gif

Lots of hoopla, but we survived!

bec_elias Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bec_elias Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:44am
post #6 of 23

Wow, I just looked some of that up, and it's kind of scary. I have never even heard of any of that. It doesn't change anything for me though, each day could be your last. When I go I go.

On a funny note, my mom stocked her basement with tons of water and canned goods for y2k. We all thought it was hilarious and at midnight exactly my husband shut off the power to my parents' house. She was yelling "I told you, I told you!" He turned it back on like 5 mins later. She will never live it down.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:52am
post #7 of 23

When I saw this link, I thought you were giving us the 'heads up' for the new popular wedding day.....(like 6-7-8 for this year!) LOL, what a dork. I will have to look it up so it can scare the bejessus outta me too. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:52am
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyLen

Makes me think of Y2K. icon_surprised.gif

Lots of hoopla, but we survived!

Amen! The biggest con job since lightning rods! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

bec_elias, that is hysterical! Wish I could have seen her face! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 7:25am
post #9 of 23

Thanks for the reminder that I'll be 42 years old that day.

icon_cry.gif

Mike1394 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 10:49am
post #10 of 23

Y2k was revenge of the nerds in real life.

I seen a history channel special on 12 21 12. It was actually quite interesting. There is some Chinese thing that predicts this date also. There are some "seers" that also had this date, but that could change throughout history to someone's inturpretation. The way the sun lines up that day happens only like every 25000 years. I just find it intriguing. I wish I would've learned of it earlier though. Big $$$$ are being made. Grrrrr

Mike

Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 1:26pm
post #11 of 23

I have read about this as well and thought it was kind of goofy. I have to admit, everytime I read about the California forest fires, the typhoons, cyclones, earthquakes, floods, etc., it makes me wonder if it's because the year is fast approaching. icon_eek.gif

kos

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 1:33pm
post #12 of 23

All I can say is December 22, 2012

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 2:31pm
post #13 of 23

Hmmm...sure would be a bummer if the apocolypse occurred on this date. Maybe I'll wait and do my holiday shopping until after the 21st icon_wink.gif

Mike - it's never to late to get in on the $$$ action. Just think of all the themed cakes you can do.

Mike1394 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 2:34pm
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowshoe1

Hmmm...sure would be a bummer if the apocolypse occurred on this date. Maybe I'll wait and do my holiday shopping until after the 21st icon_wink.gif

Mike - it's never to late to get in on the $$$ action. Just think of all the themed cakes you can do.

WooooHoooo when it tilts, and falls I can just say SEE it's a true to life cake. LOLOLOL

Mike

clsilvus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clsilvus Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 4:37pm
post #15 of 23

Interesting, I've never heard of the whole thing. You'd think there would be a ton of discovery shows on it by now.

I agree, it's just the same as y2k.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 5:26pm
post #16 of 23

I mentioned this thread to my hubby and our friend staying with us.

My hubby rolled his eyes and the room mate said it's only the end of the world if you are Mayan. icon_lol.gif

I think it was just a mean evil plot by Mike to remind me how close close I really am to being 42 years old. icon_lol.gif

Maybe that's the day I can start my midlife crisis... icon_surprised.gif

Mike1394 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 6:02pm
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynGwen

I mentioned this thread to my hubby and our friend staying with us.

My hubby rolled his eyes and the room mate said it's only the end of the world if you are Mayan. icon_lol.gif

I think it was just a mean evil plot by Mike to remind me how close close I really am to being 42 years old. icon_lol.gif

Maybe that's the day I can start my midlife crisis... icon_surprised.gif

A mere kid ya is. LOLOL Hey I'm sitting in the middle of the greatest collection of fresh water. If the world tips 5 degs., I sure hope I can float. On the bright side though. If it only tips two degs. I have lakeside property. icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 6:32pm
post #18 of 23

Well, I will be 39 years old that year.

So if it's true (btw-NOT!), I wouldn't have to turn 40!!!!!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 10:48pm
post #19 of 23

Actually, Y2K had some real technological issues which companies spent billions rectifying. There were many software issues which had to be addressed and the software engineers who surround me everywhere I go were flying all around the world fixing things.

But the panic that people tried to create was ridiculous.

This? Since when do we think an ancient calendar holds universal truth? Nothing credible here.

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 4:18pm
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytarheel

Actually, Y2K had some real technological issues which companies spent billions rectifying. There were many software issues which had to be addressed and the software engineers who surround me everywhere I go were flying all around the world fixing things.

But the panic that people tried to create was ridiculous.

This? Since when do we think an ancient calendar holds universal truth? Nothing credible here.

Y2K was a big deal because computers were programmed with two digits for the year 98, 99... they spent a lot of money changing systems, still no one knew if there was still going to be some mistake that caused power etc to go out. Media ran away with the story, just like they do for everything else! My parents had a big party as they can be completely off grid... my dad of course stuck to the breaker box and flicked the power off too!

Back to the original question... it's very interesting. Astrology (IMO) can be quite powerful. I'm not sure that I believe that the world will end in 2012 but I don't totally discredit it. IMO (again) nothing like the Y2K situation.

sarahkate80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahkate80 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 1:58am
post #21 of 23

bec_elias, i have NEVER laughed out loud reading the computer but that story did it. So funny!!!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 4:40pm
post #22 of 23

All I thought of was that the same group that wanted to get married on 7-7-07 and 8-8-08 is going to start calling to book up about three years ahead for 12-12-12. (Not 12-21-12, I know, but my brain works in wedding dates these days.) I don't know if they'll be Mayan or not, most likely not.

Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 4:54pm
post #23 of 23

ziggytarheel and dinas27, glad you spoke up about the Y2K thing. Luckily, a lot of due diligence, long hours, hard work by many geeks, made it seem like it was nothing!

Now, the 12 21 12 thing...hmmm...I think I'll take the "wait and see" approach. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%