Cake Websites: What Do You Like, What Do You Hate?

Decorating By imartsy Updated 21 Oct 2008 , 12:41am by aligotmatt

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:15am
post #61 of 76

Thanks Twooten, great idea! I'll try to figure that one out! icon_smile.gif

PieceofCakeAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceofCakeAZ Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:01am
post #62 of 76

I came to my opinions about what I like from meeting with 1000+ brides over the past few years and finding out what they like (I like what they like because if they like it, I make money icon_biggrin.gif ) and what they hate. I have designed our site based on what they like (although there are a bunch of things about our site that I am not a huge fan of).

Hate:

Sites with only a handful of pictures: Brides love looking at wedding cakes, if you have 10 pics on your site they are going to move on to someone elses site much faster.

Thumbnails: clicking on a tiny picture only to find out that you hate the cake in the full size pic sucks. We break a huge rule of web site design by having a ton of pics on a single page and making you scroll a mile down the page, but every week we hear a bride or 2 say that our site is "our favorite cake website" so even though I don't like it, I can't change what they love. I always hear that they prefer scrolling to clicking on thumbnails.

Crazy fonts

Music

Bad background colors

No starting prices listed

No address listed

Like:

The opposite of everything above icon_biggrin.gif

A little humor. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:16am
post #63 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieceofCakeAZ

Brides love looking at wedding cakes, if you have 10 pics on your site they are going to move on to someone elses site much faster.

Couldn't agree more ..... long gone are the days of putting enough "teaser" info to get them to call you. They're not calling. They are moving on.

If your site doesn't provide enough space for all of your photos, get a supplemental site, like Flickr (which is a site designed for photographers, so there is LOTS of space available for free and it's only $25/year for unlimited. I had 11 or 12 pages (18 pics each) before I got the notice that I'd filled up my free space). Then all you have to do is put a link on your regular website that takes your brides to Flickr.

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:33am
post #64 of 76

Is there a "starter kit site"? Some of us need help in just getting started.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:54am
post #65 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypie

Tonedna!
an apostrophe is not necessary to form a plural
Topsy Turvy's (according to dictionary.com) instead should pluralize to Topsy Turvies? it seems kinda strange to me, but thats what it says.

hope that helps! your cakes are gorgeous!

An apostrphe also is used to show possession, so Jen's Cakes means the cakes belong to Jen, not to make Jen pleural.

I don't know where this post came from, but just wanted to add to the convo.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 1:35am
post #66 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieceofCakeAZ

No address listed

SO true! Phone numbers are readily given out, but I have to look up area codes to see where they are in North America. Drives me koo-koo. If you don't exactly want to give out your street address, that's one thing...but at least give a region or a state on your Contacts page PLEASE!!?? icon_mad.gif

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 2:37am
post #67 of 76

oh, and i forgot a HUGE pet peeve regarding websites...not sure if anyone else mentioned it. anyways, i hate when i see *anything* negative about other bakeries OR even grocery store cakes. turns me off completely. i don't see why any website needs to go on and on about how gross/tasteless, etc. these cakes are compared to theirs. i've always said i'd much rather have a grocery store cake then a cake made straight from a box. and along the same lines...websites that go on about their cakes being fresh not frozen...yeah, i know it *sounds* good but actually i refuse to sell a cake that hasn't been frozen, makes them so moist and the crumb tighter : )

miti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miti Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 9:53pm
post #68 of 76

Hey everybody. I just came across this thread and was wondering what ya'll thought about my website. I know I don't have any pricing and after reading all of the responds above, I'm really considering adding it. Any other suggestions?

frosting111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frosting111 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 10:05pm
post #69 of 76

Great web site you did a really nice job with it thumbs_up.gif

If you like you can browse threw my web site for ideas about your pricing guide lines and such as.

I see you live in WNC...what part?
I'm in NC too with the same area code icon_wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by miti

Hey everybody. I just came across this thread and was wondering what ya'll thought about my website. I know I don't have any pricing and after reading all of the responds above, I'm really considering adding it. Any other suggestions?

miti Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 10:20pm
post #70 of 76

Thanks frosting 111. I really like the way you've listed your pricing. It's really easy to understand. Your cakes are very pretty too. I live in Granite Falls just past Hickory. How about you?

frosting111 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 10:36pm
post #71 of 76

I'm in Fletcher, pert near in Asheville/Arden by about a couple miles...

If you like you can copy and paste anything you want off my web site to use on yours...I dont mind sharing one bit..help yourself, change what you want anyway that suits you on your site.

Quote:

Thanks frosting 111. I really like the way you've listed your pricing. It's really easy to understand. Your cakes are very pretty too. I live in Granite Falls just past Hickory. How about you?

miti Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 10:42pm
post #72 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by frosting111

If you like you can copy and paste anything you want off my web site to use on yours...I dont mind sharing one bit..help yourself, change what you want anyway that suits you on your site.

Quote:

That's really nice of you. I kinda new to this so I'm still learning.

frosting111 Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 11:09pm
post #73 of 76
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frosting111

Quote:

That's really nice of you. I kinda new to this so I'm still learning.

Well then you came to the best place in the world to learn anything you want to know about cake decorating and anything related to it here on CC...this is one group of wonderful people indeed.

Wishing you all the best and Happy Baking, Mary icon_biggrin.gif

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 11:16pm
post #74 of 76

Pretty much what everyone else said. No music!!!

I dealt with a business consultant when I started my business, she told me to make sure my website, business cards... were all the same color and theme. So, don't do a green flowery business card with a pink bow website. It'll confuse people and they won't know if they're going to the same place. All aspects of your business should match.

For me, it's about ease. I really don't like those website where you have to do the drop down and the slide over and if you do it wrong, you go back or lose the drop down. Drives me nuts.

Another thing to pay attention to is your navigation page titles. If I click on Cater It Simple's "Cookies!!!" section and go to save it in my favorites, it automatically saves as "Cookies!!!" it would better to say "Cater It Simple's Cookies!!!". Edna's galleries save as "Wedding Gallery" - I know it's a weird thing to pay attention to, but you want people to save it and then come back to it!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 11:34pm
post #75 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by aligotmatt

Another thing to pay attention to is your navigation page titles. If I click on Cater It Simple's "Cookies!!!" section and go to save it in my favorites, it automatically saves as "Cookies!!!" it would better to say "Cater It Simple's Cookies!!!". Edna's galleries save as "Wedding Gallery" - I know it's a weird thing to pay attention to, but you want people to save it and then come back to it!

Fixed the cookie page for ya!!

However .... some of those page titles were determined by the company that I paid $1200 to optimize my site ... and I'm not allowed to touch those titles or pages! icon_redface.gif

Some websites, when I save to a fave, have a title that is way too long, so I have to edit it and change it to what I want it to say anyway or to help me identify it. Like if I saved frosting111's website, I'd probably change the 'saved' title to "CC-er frosting111", so I'd know who it was. You dont' have to leave it as it is. icon_smile.gif

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 21 Oct 2008 , 12:41am
post #76 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aligotmatt

Fixed the cookie page for ya!!

However .... some of those page titles were determined by the company that I paid $1200 to optimize my site ... and I'm not allowed to touch those titles or pages! icon_redface.gif

Some websites, when I save to a fave, have a title that is way too long, so I have to edit it and change it to what I want it to say anyway or to help me identify it. Like if I saved frosting111's website, I'd probably change the 'saved' title to "CC-er frosting111", so I'd know who it was. You dont' have to leave it as it is. icon_smile.gif

I know you don't have to save it as is, but it's all about making things as simple as possible for your future customer. You want them to think about you and come back to you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%