Cake Websites: What Do You Like, What Do You Hate?

Decorating By imartsy Updated 21 Oct 2008 , 12:41am by aligotmatt

sisspence Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sisspence Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 12:08am
post #31 of 76

I wonder how many people are reading this thread and going to their web sites to hurry up and them???

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 12:09am
post #32 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

Not putting up prices use to be a way to sell stuff. TO make the customer call you and ask you for prices and you can sell them. This kind of thinking is really old fashion, and I never understood it.

Agree. It's so pre-internet and used-car-salesman type of thinking. It just doesn't work anymore. I'm not afraid to post my prices because they are what they are .... no sense in pretending that they're negotiable (i.e. "Let's talk about it when you call me!") when they're not.

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 1:39am
post #33 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

It's so pre-internet...

I love this phrase! icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks loriemoms and indydebi for explaining this. I am working on my site right now (and babysitting the family pets during fireworks since they are terrified, and someone has to watch them). icon_cry.gif

I will include base prices.

And thanks again for starting this thread!

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 1:53am
post #34 of 76

Hey all, I would sure appreciate some feedback too.
Maggz gave me some and I really did try (If you are reading this!), but because I'm with a pre-made company, there are limited background and stuff things that I can do. I am looking into not having the advertising at the top, though.

TIA!

www.cakebydesign.ca

indydebi Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 2:10am
post #35 of 76

mommyle, I luv your site! The photos encourage me to look further and it is very well written. My favorite phrase on your site, which is very effective, is:

We can not compete with grocery-store cakes. Conversely, they can not compete with us.

Petit-four Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 2:11am
post #36 of 76

mommyle --

I PM'd you some ideas. Great cakes, by the way -- and love the decorating party idea!

- P-f

mommyle Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 2:44am
post #37 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

mommyle, I luv your site! The photos encourage me to look further and it is very well written. My favorite phrase on your site, which is very effective, is:

We can not compete with grocery-store cakes. Conversely, they can not compete with us.

AWWWW!!! Thanks!!!! icon_biggrin.gif The inspiration came from here... You guys ROCK!!!

debrab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debrab Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 3:02am
post #38 of 76

Things that I like:

Phone numbers and locations that are easy to find (I hate to spend 20 minutes trying to figure out how to contact someone!!)

Simple colored back grounds - as someone else stated, the cakes are what people are wanting to see, not floating hearts, dots, etc.

Policies about deposits, it is nice for someone to know coming in what is expected. The bakery I work at just started their website, but you would be surprised about the people that come in to book that are surprised and not prepared to give a deposit.

What I don't like:

Music, sometimes it scares me to death if I'm not expecting it!!

Multiple pics of the same item, if you've done 3 Spider Man cakes, one pic is enough to let people know that it's available.

Adding other business information. (My friend has a wine business and he does web hosting and one minute your on the wine site and then you are on the other site and didn't even realize you've left the first. ) I can understand wanting the most advertising for your buck, but I think a nice links page would work.

Good luck with your page!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 3:42pm
post #39 of 76

For websites in general:

busy background page designs (sometimes a different background for every page on the website!).

busy backgrounds in pictures. Messy kitchen counters, living rooms, etc. Not so professional. A nice table setting is nice if that's all you have. My fav cake designer has the same background in all of her pics (her countertop and pretty tile backsplash), but it is the same in every pic.

"tails" on your mouse that follow you everywhere!

music.

pricing info. I hate making phone calls to ask pricing info, so if you don't have it on your website, I won't be calling you for business. At least give me a range.

banner ads. I understand the need for free websites though.

Oh yah, naming cakes. I'm just not that cutesy to think of creative names for items I'm going to eat. I'm a simple gal, just give it to me straight!

a billion flavors. Yikes. I'm a little jealous that you can bake all of those flavors, but as a customer I would be overwhelmed (more like ADD) and not able to make a decision, hence you might lose me as a customer.

nefgaby: I can't read your font. Not that the font itself is illegible, but it's too "soft," I can barely see it.

Call me stupid, but I'm a little confused with your Guatemala page. Can you put a little blurb explaining in English what that is about? It left me wonderin....do you deliver to Guatemala or are you referring to another cake decorator there?

I love your cake cutting page! Such a great reference for your customers! I also wouldn't have thought to cut the half round end pieces into triangle pieces like you did.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 4:18pm
post #40 of 76

Ok..nefgaby.. I do agree with the others about your website.
Mine is more a showcase of my work. Please tell me what's wrong so I can fix!

www.designmeacake.com
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 4:51pm
post #41 of 76

tonedna,

I've got to say your font is a little hard to read too. And the font you're using for the links is pretty hard to read - it seems kinda smushed together. I'd also like to see your main navigation not be all capital letters.

Your cakes are gorgeous and you are amazingly talented. However, although your cake color combinations are wonderful, I'm not loving the green, black, and brown colors on your website.

Lastly, it would be great if you would left align or even justify your text. I'm not loving the text all centered in many places.

Okay wait had one more - I'd like to see the pictures of your cakes aligned if possible.

frosting111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frosting111 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 6:50pm
post #42 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by nefgaby

I love this thread, PERFECT! I've been wanting to "improve" my website and have been having a couple question's as of what to change/do?!?

So I was wondering... can I have all your honest opinions? I really need them... Let me have it!

www.sweetartshop.com

(I don't think I have any of y'alls pet peeves but please, do let me know if you think I should change something) icon_smile.gif

And hope you all are having a GREAT 4th!

I love,love,love your cake cutting display..its awesome!

Would love to have something like that on my web site..

Your web site is really nice and your cakes are absolutley beautiful!!!

tonedna Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 6:51pm
post #43 of 76

I wish I could align them too..The website is one of those where they give you certain ways to do think and is very difficullt to get ou of the box..They wont let me change the link box either.. icon_sad.gif

Petit-four Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 9:26pm
post #44 of 76

Tonedna,

I PM'd you some ideas...a really wonderful site!

Petit-four

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 9:32pm
post #45 of 76

I have a weird issue with lots of small print that isn't broken up into legible paragraphs.....it sort of makes me nuts, lol.

I really like easy-to-locate contact information and bright colors ( I love pink!! oops), but I'm not a fan of the sounds that pop on or music......or that curser-tail thing. Those are likely to make me hit the back button.

Great thread - gives everyone and idea of what to avoid and what to be sure they have when they design their page!

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 10:09pm
post #46 of 76

Hey Ladies,

OK, I'm back!!!! Changed a couple things but still working on the rest icon_smile.gif

* First off, I just had to laugh when Antonia mentioned the whole exclamation point thing, I SO do that, I guess I get too excited when I "talk cake". Anyway, done, and THANKS!

* The chart, I'm working on it, I have to make a new one to replace the old one, but definitively working on it.

* The title, well, the background I chose does not allow me to 1) make my logo bigger and 2) put it a little higher on the page. What I did though, is change my picture for a straight one and also, made it smaller so my menu are a little higher.

* The font, it was either the one I have OR the regular arial font, which I wasn't thrilled about but I guess it is much easier to read. I also tried to make it bold so that it would be easier to read but didn't look right to me. I guess I'll keep on bugging the yahoo people for more font options... I'll keep you updated as I really want to make my site easy to read.

* Thanks Petit-Four for the PM, I'll be checking it in a sec icon_smile.gif

* MichelleM77, the whole "Guatemala" page is for my sister, I got her started in cake decorating and she has been referring her customers to my website so I decided to make her a page so that her customers in Guatemala could have some info on her prices and ph#.

OK ladies, I'll keep on working, I think the whole font thing will be a whole day chore but is my top priority. Thank you again for all the constructive criticism and the nice things you all said about my work! Means the world to me! Thanks again.

To do list: font and chart icon_smile.gif

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 10:34pm
post #47 of 76

Thanks for explaining! Guess it would make sense if I knew what it said. icon_smile.gif

I just changed my website to Arial as it is just easier to read. I liked the other one that I had (Comic Sans or something like that) as it was slightly whimsical, but Arial is easier to deal with and the font itself was smaller, so more room for text.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 4:28pm
post #48 of 76

(QUOTE FROM indydebi) The "About Me" page should only be about one paragraph and I don't really care how you made your first cake at the age of 7. What are your PROFESSIONAL attributes that make me want to select YOU to make my wedding cake?

LOL! big pet peeve of mine...oh, and when they put pictures of their kids, family, etc??

mommyle Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 5:22pm
post #49 of 76

My mom said that I should hve a photo of me, and I didn't like that either, so I put my anniversary cake. It's my DH and me in fondant on our couch of cake!!! http://www.cakebydesign.ca/html/contact_us.html

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 5:46pm
post #50 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailey

(QUOTE FROM indydebi) The "About Me" page should only be about one paragraph and I don't really care how you made your first cake at the age of 7. What are your PROFESSIONAL attributes that make me want to select YOU to make my wedding cake?

LOL! big pet peeve of mine...oh, and when they put pictures of their kids, family, etc??

I get asked all the time how I got started in cake decorating by brides, so that is why I put a little about me on my web site...but mainly I put my cake experience and my classes and my acheivements, like blue ribbons and such.

I DO have a photo of my grand daughter on my Children's cake page, enjoying her 1st birthday smash cake. (It just says "Grandma makes the best cakes") and my customers just love it!! Although I agree, it doesn't belong on the bridal pages! haha!

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 5:46pm
post #51 of 76

I happen to really like splash pages, and flash... as evidenced by my website! LOL icon_lol.gif

I don't like music! Sometimes is makes me jump out of my seat. Other times it's just annoying.

I don't like disorganized pages that look like they were just thrown together.

My top number one peeve is that little tail that follows when the mouse moves. It drives me crazy! I'll leave the site instantly because I makes me nuts.

CoutureCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCakeCreations Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 6:06pm
post #52 of 76

I have redone my site a million times. I am hoping to achieve an elegant, but professional looking site. Let me know if I am even close.

www.couturecakecreations.com

Let me know what you think.

imartsy Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 6:40pm
post #53 of 76

Perhaps it is better if anyone is asking for specific feedback that we each PM them. By the way, CoutureCakes, I PM'd you icon_smile.gif

datalore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
datalore Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 6:54pm
post #54 of 76

You know I HATE music on websites with a passion!!!!!! HOwever I just logged on to Jacques Pastries: http://www.jacquespastries.com
I was about to click off my volume when the song started and I found myself crying (could have been that it was late at night icon_redface.gif ) But now I find myself going to his site quite often lol!!!

Just listen to it... sob...

imartsy Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 7:01pm
post #55 of 76

Hmm do you want people sobbing when looking at your cakes? Ugh his navigation was driving me nuts too - sliding here, sliding there, driving me nuts!

The song I guess is aimed at brides... but you just really took out a large percent of the population of brides who may not have mothers - I'm thankful my mom is still with me - but if I wasn't going to be able to have my mom with me on my wedding day, I REALLY wouldn't want to be reminded of that fact while I'm looking for cakes. It would completely turn me off. Or what about the people that just don't have good relationships with their mothers? He's taking a big risk there with that song, in my opinion - however unintentional it might be.

The song sounds pretty sweet - but it was looong and dragged a bit, so I found myself bored. And since I was so frustrated by the navigation (and the lack of that many photos), I left fairly quickly. I might have stayed longer without the song and with better navigation.

lilypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilypie Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 9:04pm
post #56 of 76

Tonedna!
an apostrophe is not necessary to form a plural
Topsy Turvy's (according to dictionary.com) instead should pluralize to Topsy Turvies? it seems kinda strange to me, but thats what it says.

hope that helps! your cakes are gorgeous!

tonedna Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 9:19pm
post #57 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypie

Tonedna!
an apostrophe is not necessary to form a plural
Topsy Turvy's (according to dictionary.com) instead should pluralize to Topsy Turvies? it seems kinda strange to me, but thats what it says.

hope that helps! your cakes are gorgeous!

I had the same question..and different people would say something different.. icon_lol.gif Now I am really confused.. I am just a latin girl! icon_cry.gificon_redface.gif What do I do! icon_biggrin.gif

OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 9:45pm
post #58 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingcakeplate

I like the ability to order online. However, if you don't have set prices or prices always vary, how can you include the shopping cart feature? Can you help with that?

My website lists all my base prices (which gives choices for all sheet & round cakes & I hope to update for square & wedding cakes soon), and there is a contact page. So, it's similar to a shopping cart, however the potential customer contacts me directly via e-mail (& my phone # is listed too incase they prefer) - and then I reply with my abilities, suggestions & normally I provide multiple choices for cakes (ie: if they want a "Spiderman" cake, I offer a "cut-out", or a "drawn on" & give what my decoration fees would be on top of the size of cake they chose)..... sounds a lot more tedious as I explain it now, however it is VERY simple!

I think you should include your wedding cake prices & if you're worried about losing a potential customer, add a line explaining that you are able to work with tight budgets by offering back-up sheet cakes (kitchen cakes?) to help off-set cost.......... or whatever it is you can do. If the customer doesn't contact you given your base price, then how would you have contracted with them anyway?

I also like the idea of an availability calendar & hope to add one to my site, because I have been more busy than ever this year & need my customers to know that they should contact me at least 6 weeks in advance & sometimes I'm booked even a year or so in advance..... I am still getting those potential customers who contact me with a 48hr notice & I really HATE turning anyone away! Especially if they're new!

Thanks for posting this question, because I am learning some things for how I can upgrade my website. I do have the tiny thumbnail pictures, which someone here said they hated - but I like them because I think it gets a potential customer to click on it & be curious about what the pictures are. I DO need to update my pictures, some of my older ones are a bit ridiculous =) I also "hate" the music & pre-slide-shows, and if it takes a LONG time for a picture to come up........ and I LOVE great pictures (where I obtain much of my inspiration!)

Thanks again!

indydebi Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 10:37pm
post #59 of 76

I would say only post a calendar if you are super booked. Otherwise all of those empty spaces make it look like no one wants to use you.

I don't use a calendar because I may have 2 weddings booked for the same Saturday, but depending on what the 3rd caller wants, I may be able to accommodate them.

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 11:17pm
post #60 of 76

nefgaby, since you asked icon_smile.gif in addition to what everyone has already said, how about in the articles section (which I love) list the article titles directly underneath the word article so you can skip straight to the title you want to view.

If anyone needs a website new or updated you might want to look into http://sites-unlimited.com They have very reasonable prices and do excellent work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%