Can My Disaster In Progress Be Fixed?

Decorating By sugahjunior Updated 5 Jul 2008 , 11:22am by leah_s

sugahjunior Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugahjunior Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 4:11am
post #1 of 17

I am making a cake for a BBQ with friends tomorrow. I decided to make a creamsicle cake. I used my basic doctored cake mix recipe, except in place of the pudding I used a packet of orange jello. I have an oven thermometer so I am pretty sure I was at an even 350. I baked them for 28 minutes per the box, and the toothpicks came out clean (which is a little unusual -- my cakes tend to take more like 30-35 minutes -- but I didn't want them to dry out). I let them cool in the pans for 10 minutes (which is my usual method).

When I went to get them out of the pan disaster struck....... let's just say on both layers, there's a healthy amount of cake still in the pan. (One is worse than the other) I am hoping it's salvageable though. In the morning when I go to ice the cake, can I use the buttercream (I use buttercream dream if that matters) to "glue" some pieces back to the edges to even out the layer and then just use an appropriate amount of buttercream between the layers to even out the rest (wouldn't you know this is the one time where my tops are really level thank goodness)???

If I try the buttercream repair, should I chill the layers to let them "set" before icing the cake? I am fairly sure this would work with my "bottom" layer but I am afraid that as soon as I go to flip the top one onto it, the top will fall apart. I am also afraid that when I ice the sides it will pull the entire thing apart. I suppose I could trim each layer down to the lowest point, but that would probably put each one at an inch each (maybe less because the layers didn't rise to the top of the pan).

Does anyone have any helpful hints to help me fix this, I don't want to have to start from scratch if I don't have to.

More importantly what do you think caused this? The bottoms of my pans were well greased and floured and I have never had this problem before. I tried a bit of the scraps (like any respectable caker) and the cake seems moist and very tasty. The cake also seems well cooked (I thought maybe I had underbaked, but it's cooked through for sure).

Thanks!

16 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 4:26am
post #2 of 17

yes, can glue parts together w/ BC (and one of the big name decorators even uses "cake spackle" cake crumbs mixed w/ BC to fill in the oopsies)

flip top using TWO cake boards one top, one bottom and then slide off onto bottom -- that way can hold it solid while flipping.

use the BIG icing tip to put icing on. I often don't even have to crumb coat, just shoot it on and smooth (gently).

cause -- the jello. makes things sticky. did a cake like this once -- never again!

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 10:47am
post #3 of 17

Jello

Mike

sugahjunior Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugahjunior Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 12:22pm
post #4 of 17

Doug and Mike,

Thanks so much for the help and the tips. I suspected that might have been it (and if I were to do this again, I'd probably not use the whole pack.... lesson learned.

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 12:27pm
post #5 of 17

I've used the orange creamsicle mix, and with that, the orange jello "stuff" gets poured over the cake after it has been baked and cooled. Then you poke holes in the cake with a fork, and pour the sauce all over the cakes, and let them sit for a while to soak it up. I've never done it since, it was a lot of waiting in between steps! Hope it turns out!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 12:38pm
post #6 of 17

Idea 4 next time line your pans.

icon_smile.gif

smab109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smab109 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 12:42pm
post #7 of 17

I've tried fixing holes with buttercream, no luck. The buttercream always bulged out and collapsed the cake even worse (in summer heat). Even after being chilled. Whats the secret to making it work?

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 12:48pm
post #8 of 17

really? jello makes things sticky? last week i made a raspberry cake with raspberry jello in it and it came out fine. icon_confused.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 12:52pm
post #9 of 17

I always put a waxed paper circle in the bottom of the pan.

debrab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debrab Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 1:03pm
post #10 of 17

Every time I have ever made that Orange Creamsicle cake, it has stuck to the pan. I didn't have a mix for it, but a scratch recipe and it still stuck! I just thought maybe it was the orange juice or something. I had a couple request it and they said it was easy since it came out of a box, so I said I would try it, but I never found a box of it!!

I pieced the 2nd one back together and they loved it. When I told them I had to piece it together, they seemed really surprised.

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 1:18pm
post #11 of 17

I just made a new recipe up last night using a box of jello in the mix. It came out fine. leahs has the right idea though, the bottom of the pan does stay moist using wax paper or other paper would be very helpful. Make sure you give your cake a chance to cool as well.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 1:25pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I always put a waxed paper circle in the bottom of the pan.

Stupid question, but doesn't the wax paper melt?

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 1:33pm
post #13 of 17

I've never had it melt. I use it in the oven all the time.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 1:37pm
post #14 of 17

Thanks! Thats good to know in case I run out of parchment icon_smile.gif

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 1:37pm
post #15 of 17

I agree, line your pans with parchment paper. I do all my cakes that way..

Personally I think jello makes the cake way too sweet!!!

Staceface81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Staceface81 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 1:38pm
post #16 of 17

The creamsicle cake didn't work for me either, but I fixed it just like you are talking about and it was fine. Any time I've tried to use jello in my cakes, they turn out TERRIBLE. I will never use jello again, except as a soak.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 11:22am
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxymomma521

Thanks! Thats good to know in case I run out of parchment icon_smile.gif

Foxy,
You must be making more $$ than me at this cake thing! Parchment is waay too expensive for me to buy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%