Two, 2"deep Pans Torted And Layered Turn Into 5" T

Decorating By cocobean Updated 3 Jul 2008 , 2:23pm by woodthi32

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 11:00pm
post #1 of 6

When you tell a customer you price on 1"x2"x4" slices and your tiers end up 5" tall is that weird? icon_confused.gif When YOU bake with 2" deep pans how tall are your finished tiers? I don't put that much filling in. At least it isn't squishing out. 5" tiers makes a really tall cut for a piece of cake. It's hard to put on a plate I think.

5 replies
milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 11:19pm
post #2 of 6

I dunno...my tiers never end up 5 inches. I bake my cakes in 2 inch pans and after I level, torte and frost, they are about 4 inches in height. 5 inches would mean I used a ton of frosting I would think. I don't know how palitable that would be or how a 5 inch cake woould be to work with...I am sure it can be managed but probably not too much fun. I guess to each it's own!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 11:45pm
post #3 of 6

If your cake is truly 4" tall then you add filling (say 1/4" at least), 2 cardboards on the bottom (1/4"), and icing on the top (1/4")... well then yes you are already up to 4.75". If you want to add all those extra things and get a perfect 4" finished cake, you will have to trim the cake a bit.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 12:12am
post #4 of 6

same here...even though I bake in a 2 inch pan, once I level it its rarely still 2 inches. (maybe closer to 1 7/8s?) Even if I torte both layers and fill them, its maybe a little over 4 inches..

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 12:59am
post #5 of 6

I bake in 2 inch pans.. my cake bakes over the pan a little .. I level the cakes while in the pan.. add fillings... add the top layer of cake then ice...well my cake is almost 5 " also LOL and I don't have TOOOOO much icing in the middle or the top.. I think it is just everything put together makes it higher icon_smile.gif

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:23pm
post #6 of 6

I often get cakes that tall.. I don't trim. I usually try to balance it with the height of another tier. Stylisitically, it works.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%