Smbc Questions. Please Help.

Decorating By CakeInfatuation Updated 12 Jul 2008 , 12:59pm by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 4:26pm
post #61 of 72

Heres mine made with the Very vanilla SMBC !
LL

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 4:33pm
post #62 of 72

So pretty!! I love SMBC too. It's all I use.

Aswartzw.. I add caramel sauce to my SMBC now to make it caramel because I agree with you. While the brown sugar makes it a bit caramel.. it needs more punch. So I make some caramel and add it in. It's REALLY caramely (if that's a word icon_lol.gif ).

fiddlesticks Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 4:37pm
post #63 of 72

jkalman.. Thanks now I just need to find the recipe that will pipe flowers for me ! Does any one know can you add smbc decor on top of a buttercream iced cake ? will it stick or slide off ?

FromScratch Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 4:47pm
post #64 of 72

You could put it on top.. I am not sure what it would do on the sides. You are talking SMBC on the side of a powdered sugar based buttercream right? Or the other way around?

I find that if you let your SMBC sit in the piping bag it gets to be a nice consistency for piping. I pipe with it all the time for borders and scrolls and stuff. It also helps to have a couple bags ready to go so you can put one down as it gets warm. I also usually have an ice pack on the counter to rest the bag that gets warm on.. just remember to turn it over after a couple minutes and don't leave it on for too long or you;ll have a hard piping bag.. LOL icon_smile.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 5:10pm
post #65 of 72

fiddlesticks, the recipe i used came out really stiff. i'm looking at your lovely pictures and yours do seem softer. if you want you can try the recipe i posted which i got from smittenkitchen.com

i just replaced the white sugar with brown sugar, same measurement. first it was really dark brown but as i whipped it it became lighter, you'd hardly notice it in my pictures.

jkalman, how do you make your own caramel? and do you just fold it in? i love caramel. thanks!

fiddlesticks Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 5:10pm
post #66 of 72

Thanks I will try that ! Yes I was talking about SMBC decor on a powder sugar buttercream iced cake ? I love the look of leafs and flowers etc made from the SMBC .

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 6:21pm
post #67 of 72

oh yum, those cupcakes look *so* good! the icing doesn't look too soft to me, i bet you could pipe some flowers with it. i've tried subbing brown sugar for white in the past and everyone thought it was maple buttercream! for caramel, you all should try mixing in some dulce de leche. i make my own by boiling condensed milk in the can, i think for like and an hour and 15 min? it gets it nice and thick so it doesn't make the smbc too runny or soft. i use this filling for my "taffy apple cake"...very popular in the fall : )

hey fiddlestick, just noticed you're in Indiana too...what part are you from? icon_smile.gif

farmom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farmom3 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 6:41pm
post #68 of 72

This first time I made SMBC, I used brown sugar and it was so yamy
LL

fiddlesticks Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 7:21pm
post #69 of 72

Great bouquet !

farmom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farmom3 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 8:11pm
post #70 of 72

THANK YOU SO MUCH

FromScratch Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 4:43am
post #71 of 72

Caramel isn't all that hard to make. You boil the sugar and water (and sometimes corn syrup) until it turns an amber color (not toooo amber or it'll taste burnt) and then take it off the heat, add the cream and stir. This part is a bit scary because the stuff starts to spatter and bubble up so make sure you make it in a large pan. Then when that's all calmed down you sometimes add some butter and stir until it's all mixed.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/CARAMEL-SAUCE-234448

it really isn't hard.. and it is VERY good.. way better than any sundae topping you can buy. icon_smile.gif

edited to add that to incorporate it into the SMBC I put the SMBC in a mixer bowl with the paddle attachment and while mixing on low I add the caramel that has cooled but still pourable. Sometimes this will make the SMBC get soupy from the warmth, but just let it keep mixing and it'll come back together. icon_smile.gif It is SOOOOOOOOOO good with chocolate cake.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 12:59pm
post #72 of 72

thanks for sharing that! and i have to agree chocolate and caramel are perfect together...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%