How To Cut Fondant Or Gunpaste Cleanly?

Decorating By CherylJ Updated 30 Jun 2008 , 11:42pm by milissasmom

CherylJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherylJ Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 7:37pm
post #1 of 5

Each time I try to cut fondant or gumpaste (gumpaste especially) with a pizza cutter, shaped cutters (plastic and metal) or the wilton fancy edge ribbon cutter I never get a nice clean edge to the piece.

What an I doing wrong? My ribbons look sloppy and sometimes a little almost hairy on the edges.

Thanks in advance for the help.

4 replies
ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:06pm
post #2 of 5

Hmmmmm... I have huge issues with the Wilton ribbon cutter - almost always have hairy edges, but most metal cutters give a cleaner edge. Try using just enough cornstarch under your paste to allow you to move the cutter in a circular motion on the cutting surface as you press down - the entire piece of paste that you are cutting from should move. Pick up the cutter with the paste still inside and run your finger around the edges to clean the fragments off, then remove the shape. I have seen some people put the cutter down on the cutting surface (cutting edge up) and place the thin sheet of paste on top of the cutter and then use the rolling pin or stick over the paste and cutter to cut the shape. You can then use your finger to smooth way any raw spots while it is still over the cutter. Also, be sure that you are cutting on a firm, hard surface.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:10pm
post #3 of 5

I swear by my scalpel (straight edge, not curved). One of the most important tools I own.

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 11:24pm
post #4 of 5

I also use a scalpel to clean up my edges. If the paste is to soft it will always need to be cleaned up. Be sure you have the paste stiff enough.
Good luck

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 11:42pm
post #5 of 5

Yup...stiff paste and an exacto knife. Works every time! Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%