Suggestions For Cake Idea Needed

Decorating By debra-k Updated 2 Jul 2008 , 8:07pm by kimmypooh79

debra-k Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debra-k Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:13am
post #1 of 6

In September, its my mother-in-law's 60th birthday AND her 40th wedding anniversary ON THE SAME DAY..

I am stumped as to what type of cake we can get made for her - she does not have any real hobbies as such and as its two celebrations, wanted something to reflect that.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

5 replies
Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:56am
post #2 of 6

Hi Debra

Hmmm. That's a toughie.

How skilled is your cake-maker? What sort of budget do you have?

Suzanne x

debra-k Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debra-k Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 9:04am
post #3 of 6

Hi there,

My cake-maker is very skilled and can do really intricate work - I'm lucky too as she lives about 10 minutes away too.

As for budget, cheap as chips really!! I want something to look stunning, but to be as cost effective as possible..

I know its a tough one, but hopefully my cake-maker will pull through and create a masterpiece..

Thanks
Debra

SOULLA13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SOULLA13 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 9:30am
post #4 of 6

Hi Debra,

What about a couple sitting on a sofa with the husbands arm round his wife while they sit and she is blowing out her birthday candles. The couple could also be wearing wedding outfits! Just an idea though, im sure you will come up with something brilliant.

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 10:37pm
post #5 of 6

what about using a lot of edible images showing different times in her life, including her married life, but also just her life before being married. we made my grandmother a 70th birthday cake (in my photos) and one whole tier was dedicated to edible images. she loved it and everyone enjoyed looking at the pictures. the imaged were relatively cheap since i scanned them into the computer and printed 5 to a piece of paper, I only needed three edible images and i got like 15 pictures total.

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 2 Jul 2008 , 8:07pm
post #6 of 6

The 40th anniversary is the traditional/modern ruby gift I wonder if you could do something with that and say something like...."40 years and counting" or just simply "40 years". Maybe a carved heart shaped red ruby cake and a couple of wedding bands on top of a square base cake with pretty scroll work around the sides. Then for the birthday cake....a bigger square cake with a different color scroll side that accents the red from the other cake. Then think of her life's accomplishments, kids, grandkids, school, etc. and see if any of that works. If you wanted a more fun bday cake then I might suggest that you have it act as a card. Take some sort of edible paper or something and have all the kids and grandkids sign their own msg then attach it to the cake. Hope these are helpful suggestions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%