2 Questions: Please Read Need Help

Decorating By matwogirls Updated 30 Jun 2008 , 8:38pm by FromScratch

matwogirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matwogirls Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:12am
post #1 of 21

1.So how would I make the icing more ivory

So if I am using the sugarshack buttercream icing, how can I make sure that it is a off white ivory/cream colour. I have a bride that is worried the white icing will make her dress look dirty.

2. competely seperate bride wants a dress cake to look like her wedding dress below. any ideas what I could do to make the gathers in the rbc look like the dress. how do I make it stay inplace and what about the beading on the dress how would I go about doing this? I have attached her dress below.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Janice
LL

20 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:21am
post #2 of 21

I do gown cakes a lot. I would only use the design from the bodice. And I won't use RBC under penalty of death. Not that I have stong feelings about it or anything.

As for color, that's jsut your bride stressing out. Advise her that the lighting will be "soft" at the venue. They will either turn the lights down or their will be candles which give a soft golden glow to everything. But if you need to color the icing (I would not) then use a tiny bit of ivory color.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:30am
post #3 of 21

A tab bit of regular vanilla will make your icing off-white, too. Not too much though, or it's beige.

Angelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angelgirl Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:35am
post #4 of 21

When I recently did a cake for someone who wanted off-white, instead of using clear vanilla flavoring, I used regular. It gave it just a hint of off-white- but not ivory- and they loved it.

matwogirls Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:41am
post #5 of 21

Thank you so much for the fast replies. I tried to tell the bride not to worry, but then she got me starting to worry... newbie jitters and all.

So are there any ideas on how to replicate the bodice of the dress? as far as the beads go?

Janice

bwonderful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bwonderful Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:44am
post #6 of 21

For the beading, I would use RI with luster dust and maybe some rock candy made in a gem mold for the larger accents.

leah_s Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:45am
post #7 of 21

Just pipe the design. I can't see it clearly enough to tell you more than that. Doesn't have to be beads. In fact that many beads would break a tooth.

kayleighlovesjacob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayleighlovesjacob Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:47am
post #8 of 21

i've used a teeny bit of brown and got a creamy ivory color... gl! hth...

leah_s Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:47am
post #9 of 21

I know you wouldn't put actual beads on the cake. I was joking about breaking a tooth. Sometimes I also use fondant motifs. And edible pearls.

pjmw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjmw Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:51am
post #10 of 21

I've used butter Crisco to make my b/c ivory...depends on how much ivory you want...good luck!

Paula

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 3:22am
post #11 of 21

rbc, hmm, never worked with it, but, if I were doing it in fondant I wold literally pich the spots where you see the gathers and then decorate with whatever you used for the beading on the bodice on the pinches.

I have no idea if rbc would "pinch" like fondant.

I vote for adding a bit of regular vanilla for the ivory color.

once I tried to make ivory fondant with wilton brown and added too much, I ended up with an awful flesh color

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:04am
post #12 of 21

Yes.. I know that awful flesh color you are talking about.. eeeek!!! I did that trying to make a sandy color.. never again.

I also vote for using extra real vanilla in your icing. I use butter and real vanilla when I make my SMBC and if you add enough vanilla it can be ivory.. but usually it's what I'd call wedding white.. not BRIGHT white. icon_smile.gif

ANother thought for the gathers woudl be to use a tool to impress the lines in the fondant. I'd use fondant if you can because RBC is moody stuff.

leah_s Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:06am
post #13 of 21

With fondant, I'll bet you could use a crimper to make the pickups.

FromScratch Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 12:20pm
post #14 of 21

I was thinking a dresden tool, but a toothpick or skewer would work just as well. Even the dull side of a butter knife woudl work.. just roll the fondant a little thicker than you normally would.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 12:30pm
post #15 of 21

Her dress is beautiful. It's no wonder she'd want a matching cake. Soft fondant draping would look beautiful for that cake I think.

jess85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess85 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:52pm
post #16 of 21

how about clear sanding sugar on the bodice?

matwogirls Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 3:51pm
post #17 of 21

everyone is so nice to help me out. Thanks a bunch... Sanding sugar... I don't know what that is. Where would I buy that? I am going to go hunting online right now.

Thanks,
Janice

matwogirls Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 3:55pm
post #18 of 21

ok, sanding sprinkles I think would work. Now to find them. I wonder if micheals carries them.

I don't have any crimping tools, but I do have two fingers so I think that I am going to try that out.

I have never made my own fondant, is there a favorite recipe out there that you could sugest for a first timer?

Thanks
Janice

asmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asmith Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:17pm
post #19 of 21

I've used SophieBelles Jello fondant and MMF before and liked them both, but I by far prefer Satin Ice!

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 4:23pm
post #20 of 21
FromScratch Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:38pm
post #21 of 21

Ditto to Michele Foster's recipe.. the best fondant I have ever used.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%