Mmf Leaves For Trees

Decorating By tchrmom Updated 30 Jun 2008 , 3:15pm by tchrmom

tchrmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tchrmom Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 9:05pm
post #1 of 4

How do I attach MMF leaves to trees? I think water or piping gel will still some directly to trunk and thicker branches, but do I use that cool wire? And what kind of wire? And where do I get it?

Thanks again. Thank goodness I started trying all this 3 weeks ahead of the party.

3 replies
tchrmom Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:37pm
post #2 of 4

Any help? Please?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:52pm
post #3 of 4

I used wires stuck into my tree trunk in the father's day cake in my photos. I didn't end up with a lot of leaves because I ran out of patience with cutting the wire icon_biggrin.gif I just put little balls of mmf onto short pieces of wire bent into hooks, then once the balls had hardened a bit, I stuck the other ends of the wire into the tree trunk and attached the leaves. I used meringue powder mixed with water for glue. You can also use gum-tex mixed with water but that will be shiny if it shows anywhere (the voice of experience icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif ).

I got the wire in the fake flower dept at Walmart. It's called paddle wire and it's wrapped around a plastic spool. There are different gauges of it, I think I was using 22. You could also use the fabric-wrapped wire but you'd have to go to michaels or hobby lobby instead of walmart because walmart only has the fabric one in white...the others have it in green. While you're there you should pick up a small pair of fine-nose pliers (in the hardware dept) with a built in wire cutter.

tchrmom Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 3:15pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you. I may need to try that. I am very new at doing anything other than cookies with MMF.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%