My Shortening Curdled !!!

Decorating By umabdurrahman Updated 13 Jul 2008 , 2:06am by jo_ann

umabdurrahman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umabdurrahman Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 12:31pm
post #1 of 8

icon_cry.gif
i bought a HUGE box of shortening from my local (and uninformed) supply store. when i try to make butterless-buttercream with it, when i put the milk or water it curdles and the sugar separates from the shortening. can anyone help me fix this?? otherwise i'm gonna have to have one huge fish fry. lol icon_lol.gif

7 replies
punkinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkinpie Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 5:09pm
post #2 of 8

If you keep beating does it come together?

umabdurrahman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umabdurrahman Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 5:37pm
post #3 of 8

no, it really separates and gets extremely watery. it is the same recipe i used with crisco but this comes out nasty with this new shortening.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 6:13pm
post #4 of 8

This is a long shot, but. Can you strain the mixture into another bowl? Leaving mostly just the shortening. Put the shortening back into the bowl, and mix. If it's to soupy add more PS. Then try, and get the consistancy you want by slowly adding the milk.

Mike

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 1:50pm
post #5 of 8

I just had this happen this morning. First time ever with this recipe. I then looked at the can of shortening my dh had bought for me and it had meat fats and vegtable oil in it. Dh is now on his way back to the store. He had bought me 6 cans of this crap about 2 weeks ago so of course the receipt is now missing. LOL

jo_ann Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 1:47am
post #6 of 8

Anyone else????????????????????????

moufette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moufette Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 1:59am
post #7 of 8

Sounds like you are using lard instead of shortening. Sometimes you have to pay a little extra to be sure that you are getting the quality. I know a lot of people who buy their ingredients at bulk stores and while sometimes it's ok, you don't know what you are getting as the bins can get contaminated (eg: flour in the powdered sugar). I know I'm rambling a bit and a little off subject....sorry!
You should always use a pure vegetable shortening.
IMHO, asking your dh to buy cake supplies is like your dh asking you to buy motor oil... 10W30 5w30??? Who cares? It was on sale!

jo_ann Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:06am
post #8 of 8

Well actually my DH is very much an active Partner in my business.
It was an honest mistake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%