Looking For A Supply Store In New York

Decorating By piekske Updated 21 Jul 2008 , 12:05pm by sirena

piekske Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
piekske Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 9:53am
post #1 of 12

Hey! I'm Caroline from Belgium, Europe. I'll be going to NY in about two weeks time and I would love to buy some (Wilton) bakeware there.
We haven't got a lot of it in Belgium (cake decoration is practically unknown here) and all the supplies are really expensive in my neighbouring countries.

I found this store online but the link to the site doesn't work. Does that mean the store is gone? If anybody knows a good store in NY (I have to be able to get there by subway), please let me know?!?

This is the store I found:
New York Cake & Baking Distribution
56 West 22nd Street
New York, NY 10010

Thank you in advance!

X Caroline

11 replies
chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 10:00am
post #2 of 12

I also live on the continent. Cake decorating there is limping along about 50 years behind the US/GB, am I not right?!!

That company has been around for years, so I can't see a reason why it wouldn't still be. I was actually there at the store about 15 years ago. Why not e-mail/call them and find out?

We were in the US last week. The US economy is really, really bad right now, and I haven't seen the dollar so low in about 15 years. You'll be surprised at how cheap everything is. I know we were.... we bought so much that we had to purchase another suitcase there to bring everything home in!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 10:38am
post #3 of 12

Their website is at least 4 years old, with very few updates. Most of their products are not even mentioned, nor are their prices, so accessing the website would not be of much help to you, anyway.

I will be in NYC tomorrow, and planned on stopping there before heading to the Fancy Foods Show. I will let you know what their status is, either by response here, or via PM.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 10:42am
post #4 of 12

Yes - this store is open (their hours are Monday - Saturday (I think they open at 10)). I go there quite often.

They have a terrific selection of items. The store is really cramped and its tough to find anything.

Don't let this deter you from going as its just a heads-up, but the folks who work there are quite grouchy. Ever watch the Sienfeld show and remember the soup nazi - the people who work there remind me of him. icon_twisted.gif

Enjoy your trip to the US - I hope it's for pleasure and not work!!

piekske Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 11:52am
post #5 of 12

Thank you so much for all the replies! I'll surely be stopping by the store and I'll probably spend hours in there, grumpy storeholders or not! lol I'll mainly buy cakepans because they are the most expensive here. And I guess I'll need a second suitcase too! lol
And I'm definately going for pleasure! Sightseeing (buildings and American men! lol) and shopping!!!
X Caroline

playingwithsugar Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 6:13pm
post #6 of 12

Caroline -

Send me a PM and let me know when you will be there. If the time does not conflict with any other items in my schedule, I can meet up with you at the store. I must go there sooner than I thought, as I just got booked for two huge birthday cakes, and will have to buy supplies for them.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 11:56am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by piekske

And I'm definately going for pleasure! Sightseeing (buildings and American men! lol) and shopping!!!
X Caroline

Hmmm....I've been to Belgium a few times on business and maybe you should stick with those men as I've walked around with my tongue hanging out several times - American men are getting too high-maintenance (trust me - I've married two of 'em)!! icon_wink.gif Have a fun trip.

piekske Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 6:12pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowshoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by piekske

X Caroline

Hmmm....I've been to Belgium a few times on business and maybe you should stick with those men as I've walked around with my tongue hanging out several times - American men are getting too high-maintenance (trust me - I've married two of 'em)!! icon_wink.gif Have a fun trip.

Hahahahahaha! I can imagine you liked Belgian men... I have to say, we can't complain! Lots of nationalities here too, so something for everyone's taste icon_razz.gif
But I'll just stick with 'drooling over the cake supplies' for now! lol

playingwithsugar Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 6:57pm
post #9 of 12

Well, in that case, make sure you bring me a Belgian man with you when we meet up in NYC! Or at least a picture of a really good-looking one!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

piekske Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:46pm
post #10 of 12

What age class are we talking about? icon_lol.gif

Can we talk about things like this on the forum? icon_rolleyes.gif lol

piekske Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 11:38am
post #11 of 12

I'm back!
I found that store in NY and it was Heaven!!! Or Hell for my budget...

Bought way too much. Had to buy a second suitcase to get everything home. But luckily I got through customs without paying any fees. So I had a really good deal on all the baking pans I took home with me. Me happy icon_biggrin.gif

So the next few weeks I'll probably be baking a lot. Trying everything out! lol I'll post some of my pictures on this forum/gallery when I find the time.

Thank you for all your help! The shop was great and New York was awesome!

X Caroline

sirena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sirena Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 12:05pm
post #12 of 12

try this place, I order all my suplys Pfeil & Holding www.cakedeco.com is a huge warehouse

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%