Ughhh Can Anyone Help?? Dh Is Making Me Crazy!

Lounge By TheCakerator Updated 30 Jun 2008 , 1:30pm by emrldsky

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 3:12am
post #1 of 12

Ok so we recently purchased a camper, as well as both my siblings .. now my dh wants to make us signs to put in front of the campers, but he is driving me crazy with the punctuation ... this is just for example, but say our last name was Smith .. now, he doesn't know if the sign should read The Smith's or The Smiths' .. cause one might be showing possessiveness for the camper, and the other might just show that we are the Smith's .. I tried to help by looking up the proper way to use an apostrophe, but he said that really isn't what he is needing help with, and I guess I am not understanding it and told him to stop belly aching about it because IT'S JUST A SIGN FOR A CAMPER icon_biggrin.gif can anyone point me in the right direction please??

11 replies
Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 3:31am
post #2 of 12

The right direction is any which leads away from DH. icon_lol.gif

Pick the one that shows possessiveness! I can't tell you why, but I just like that one better. thumbs_up.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 3:39am
post #3 of 12

Speaking as an English teacher of 30+ years:

The Smiths

NO apostrophe

You're trying to show the PLURAL not the possessive. This shows who lives there -- The Smiths.

The Smith's is singular possessive and grammatically wrong to use "the". It should be Mr., Ms., Mary, Joe, etc. in front of Smith)

The Smiths' is plural possessive. Use this only if his intention is to show that the camper is owned by the whole family.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 7:50am
post #4 of 12

Another English teacher here... Doug is absolutely right.

Give DH a good slapping-up and tell him to get over it.

TheCakerator Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 3:13pm
post #5 of 12

ok thanks you guys .. I guess what he was trying to decide whether he wanted to show owner ship of the camper, or just that the "smith's" live there .. so I guess it is more of a preference thing for him but he does not like the way our last name looks plural cause he thinks he would have to add es to our last name ... Reddish would then become Reddishes ?? Is this right?

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 3:20pm
post #6 of 12

Maybe the solution would be to make it "The Reddish Family" a few more letters but solves the ownership question.

Doug Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 8:19pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCakerator

ok thanks you guys .. I guess what he was trying to decide whether he wanted to show owner ship of the camper, or just that the "smith's" live there .. so I guess it is more of a preference thing for him but he does not like the way our last name looks plural cause he thinks he would have to add es to our last name ... Reddish would then become Reddishes ?? Is this right?

yes.. the plural of Reddish would be Reddishes because of how the name ends a variant of the "s" sound.

so here's another vote for The Reddish Family

or The Reddish Clan

or The Reddish Crew

or some other fun take on the family name (Reddish Brew Crew?, Reddish Ale Pail? oh, dear .. got beer on the mind!)

TheCakerator Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 9:43pm
post #8 of 12

thanks doug .. even though I fought tooth and nail on the fact that no, he would not have to add an "es" to our last name icon_redface.gif I guess maybe I will have to agree with him now if he has an english teacher backing him up on it! icon_biggrin.gif

Doug Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 10:54pm
post #9 of 12

oh no!!.....

just noticed a BAD pun that's possible

The Reddishes >>>>> The Red Dishes.....

could make a sign featuring red dishes (cup, saucer, teapot, etc. -- sort of like Beauty and the Beast) each w/ the name of a family member on it.

(need chocolate!)

and on a serious note:

a 1st class online resource of all things English -- thank you the Boilermakers of Purdue University....

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/

TheCakerator Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 11:20pm
post #10 of 12

well we already know whats going on our sign ... Michigan/Michigan State!! We are a camper divided! icon_biggrin.gif

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 11:54am
post #11 of 12

Ok this now opens A LOT of questions. Don't you like the name Smith. Reddish is a very fine name. I can understand why you would switch. How do the other Smiths feel? I think this is an important question. I mean after all you are sharing a camper with them. You do know with you cahnging your name that will meamn a BIGGER sign. Is Mr. Smith/Reddish up for that?

Hehehehehe icon_biggrin.gif
Good Morning,

Mike

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 1:30pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

oh no!!.....

just noticed a BAD pun that's possible

The Reddishes >>>>> The Red Dishes.....

could make a sign featuring red dishes (cup, saucer, teapot, etc. -- sort of like Beauty and the Beast) each w/ the name of a family member on it.

(need chocolate!)

and on a serious note:

a 1st class online resource of all things English -- thank you the Boilermakers of Purdue University....

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/

Completely agree with no apostrophe. And Doug, not only is Purdue my alma mater, but I'm employed there, too. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%