Finally Got The Lambeth Book!!!!!!!

Decorating By snowshoe1 Updated 27 Sep 2008 , 12:41am by SandyLemke

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 28

I've been coveting this book since I started playing with cakes - and I finally broke down and puchased it.

I screamed when it came in. DH just doesn't understand why this is such a big deal - so I had to share with you all because I thought you would understand my excitement (I did get the 1980 publication so it was cheaper than the 1930's). NO ONE in the house is allowed to touch this book except me (similar to my fabric scissors!)

I'm only up to lesson #4 and my hands are killing me!!

27 replies
Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 2:27pm
post #2 of 28

That is so exciting! I was doing some sort of happy-dance when I got my copy. And no-one gets to touch it either - but I do use it, even though it's the 1st edition. Be prepared for lots of sore wrists and hands icon_lol.gif

(and try the recipes, they are to die for)

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 2:28pm
post #3 of 28

Congratulations!!! Ever since I frst saw Colette's white Edwardian cake, I've been dreaming of buying Lambeth's book so I can make the cake. Where did you buy it from and how much did it cost, if you don't mind me asking? Also, please post pictures so we can all admire your work.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 2:29pm
post #4 of 28

Wow, you are brave! I do not have the guts to try that yet.

snowshoe1 Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 2:41pm
post #5 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeWhizz

Congratulations!!! Ever since I frst saw Colette's white Edwardian cake, I've been dreaming of buying Lambeth's book so I can make the cake. Where did you buy it from and how much did it cost, if you don't mind me asking? Also, please post pictures so we can all admire your work.

I got it from an Amazon reseller (superbstuff) for $199. The older publications more expensive.

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 2:57pm
post #6 of 28

you must post pictures when you finish something.

I love this look. I recently attended the wilton 80th anneversery event and one layer of their demo cake was Lambath. so amazing.

BTW Colette Peters said never fill your bag more the 1/3 full to keep from getting cramped hands. I don't know if you knew that but just thought I'd pass it on.

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 4:37pm
post #7 of 28

Thanks snowshoe1! I bet it would cost twice as much on amazon.co.uk ( I live in London, UK where everything is at least twice the cost comapred to most places in the world!). I suppose I will have to get my best friend in NY to get it for me at some point icon_wink.gif

Cakenator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenator Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 5:29pm
post #8 of 28

I just ordered a copy off of amazon! I'm so excited! and jealous that you already have yours!!!

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 5:48pm
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeWhizz

Thanks snowshoe1! I bet it would cost twice as much on amazon.co.uk ( I live in London, UK where everything is at least twice the cost comapred to most places in the world!). I suppose I will have to get my best friend in NY to get it for me at some point icon_wink.gif

I found one on abebooks for $180 http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?bsi=120&sortby=1&tn=lambeth&x=0&y=0&prevpage=4

SandyLemke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandyLemke Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 4:34am
post #10 of 28

i'm so excited...I just got a 1934 copy with the gondola stencil included. I am holding my breath until it arrives in the mail...!!!!!!

It's my birthday present! My interests are cake decorating and vintage books so this is perfect.

snowshoe1 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:44pm
post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyLemke

i'm so excited...I just got a 1934 copy with the gondola stencil included. I am holding my breath until it arrives in the mail...!!!!!!

It's my birthday present! My interests are cake decorating and vintage books so this is perfect.

Wow - congratulations - the 1934 copy! I'd have loved to have picked that up instead of the 1980. I'm still practicing before I will actually try one of these cakes.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:51pm
post #12 of 28

Congrats~ I've heard a lot about this book but have never seen it. Let us know how you like it! icon_biggrin.gif

APrettyCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APrettyCake Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 2:31pm
post #13 of 28

Oh congrats! You must post pics when you are done with your first masterpiece icon_smile.gif I love the lambeth and australian methods - so refined. I am going up to Chicago for a week long class in these techniques in 2 weeks. Can't wait!!

SandyLemke Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 2:39pm
post #14 of 28

OK! I will post pics!!!

Jovy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jovy Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 7:31pm
post #15 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by APrettyCake

Oh congrats! You must post pics when you are done with your first masterpiece icon_smile.gif I love the lambeth and australian methods - so refined. I am going up to Chicago for a week long class in these techniques in 2 weeks. Can't wait!!

Hey Pretty Cake...Im going to chicago on Oct. 14-17 for the Wedding Cake construction Class at the French Pastry School...have you taken classes at French PS?

APrettyCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APrettyCake Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 7:46pm
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovy

Quote:
Originally Posted by APrettyCake

Hey Pretty Cake...Im going to chicago on Oct. 14-17 for the Wedding Cake construction Class at the French Pastry School...have you taken classes at French PS?

OMG - I did not even know they were there! I found this class at Wilton. I would LOVE to attend classes at a pastry school! I will go check it out icon_smile.gif Thanks!

THESUGARCOW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
THESUGARCOW Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 8:38pm
post #17 of 28

ok
I love that method!
didnt know was called like that
I just did a search
and found one 185$
but I also found that is a version that has almost no pictures on it
so?
is there a version of the same book with more pictures?
can somebody tell me more about this book
birthday is coming I already made my wish list to my hubby icon_lol.gif
I dont want him to buy it and it is the wrong one?????????? icon_eek.gif
please??????? icon_surprised.gif he will kill me! icon_cry.gif

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 12:54am
post #18 of 28

I have the 1934 ed. My sister got it for me as a birthday gift a few years ago. That book is a gold mine!!! Treasure it with your life!!!!!!!!! I practiced the technique just a few months before I decided to be brave and do it on a show cake. I won Best of Show so I guess I didn't do too bad.

From looking at your cakes, you will master this in NO time!!!!!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif Please post your practice pics even if it is on plain ol' styrofoam.

Amy

THESUGARCOW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
THESUGARCOW Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 1:21am
post #19 of 28

cakemommy?
I have your cake saved! is in my favorites
today I was dreaming about your cake I knew I had a beautiful cake saved with that method icon_biggrin.gif
well I dont know what edicion this one is
but they show two pages with pictures one is some eggs and the other is a duck on top of a cake icon_confused.gif
how is this book?
at least has drawings since it doesnt have too many pictures?
can you tell me more about it please?

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 4:30am
post #20 of 28

OMG I did not know LAmbeth book (1934 editions were $$$$$$. My mother in law has an old lambeth book 1934 and very old betty crocker books. Her mother (husband's grandmother) collected vinatge cookie cutters, books, and antique cake stands. I am planning to check how much these items are and sell them to an antique book dealer in NY ASAP!

SandyLemke Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 4:25pm
post #21 of 28

bundtdiva, don't sell it, KEEP IT! you have a valuable first edition there. Tell us more about it, its condition, does it have the gondola stencil still in it?

quilting2011 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 2:52am
post #22 of 28

I showed my neighbor the books I have. My neighbor works for Sotheby's in NY. He owned s a vintage book store in Boston for 30 years.. He told to me I can sell them on ebay for good money. I decided to sell the books to my neighbor. He purchased all my books which will help pay for my triplets college fund. I looked at the book and Lambeth method is too complicated for me. I prefer fondant and simple piping.

I work full time and don't have time to learn Lambeth method.

1029 Ateco Cake Decorating book

1934 Lambeth book-it has the gondola and book has pictures in black and white and color also gilded in the edges.

1960 Talta icing book

1920 Cake Confetctionary recipe book

1960 Good housekeeping cake decorating book

1950 Betty Crocker books.

I did not anything about Lambeth until I read the book. It is to complicated for me I prefer fondant.

SandyLemke Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 4:23am
post #23 of 28

you had a very, very nice collection. your neighbor is lucky.

SandyLemke Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 6:17pm
post #24 of 28

Received it today!!! All the way from Bulgaria. When I opened it I found about 20 loose pages of typewritten recipes for candy and fondant. at the bottom of the page it says "LIBERTY CANDY COMPANY."

These loose pages were well-used, grease spots and marked with pencil all over! What a treat. Also enclosed is a yellowed newspaper cutting from LONDON'S WEEKLY dated July 23, 1937.

No stencil as advertised, though. I'm not going to make a stink, I only paid 100 GBP for this tome.

It's a huge heavy book! I'll try to post photo in my photos. I have problems posting photos in replies.

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 7:01pm
post #25 of 28

Be careful with this lambeth stuff. Before you know it, you have become addicted and will only make lambeth cakes.

Or maybe it's just me icon_lol.gif

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 7:20pm
post #26 of 28

Gefion, your latest wedding cakes are absolutely amazing. I REALLY want to learn Lambeth. Add that to the list of things I want to do AFTER I have this baby!!! (due 11/14 and on bedrest!)

quilting2011 Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 12:36am
post #27 of 28

Deleted post

SandyLemke Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 12:41am
post #28 of 28

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%