Aldi Chocolate Chips

Decorating By floophs Updated 30 Jun 2008 , 3:29am by mkolmar

AmyCakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyCakes2 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 2:14am
post #31 of 45

Aldi's is great! I get my powdered sugar there all the time, as it's about 30 cents cheaper than Walmart. It of course has other great items too -I also get eggs, sour cream, oil.....and I USE to get my shortening there, too. HOWEVER - they have quit carrying it until fall - anyone else have this trouble?? When I inquired, the gal at the register told me that it was considered a "baking item" and since not many people baked in the summer......
I couldn't believe it! I still found flour, sugar, eggs, b. power, b.soda, salt....need I say more???
I save quite a bit when I'm able to get what I need! icon_smile.gif

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 2:15am
post #32 of 45

[quote="floophs"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadak

#3) Here's the kicker...you have to have cash. They don't take checks or credit cards. I hate carrying around a lot of cash and I definitely don't like spending cash on groceries and trying to estimate if I have enough. So another friend told me that they will take a ATM card though where you just punch in a pin code. This has been a huge life saver for me. I never had one before so I went to my bank and got one. Now I can buy as much at Aldi as I want to and not worry if I have enough cash.

I remember years ago when they didn't even take debit cards. It was horrible to figure out how much money to bring with you. I hate carrying cash. I only use my debit card anymore. So much easier.

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 2:28am
post #33 of 45

Thanks for all the great Aldi tips! I have one less than 5 minutes from my house and I never knew what kind of store they were icon_redface.gif I don't know why but I just never even thought to walk inside BUT now I certainly will icon_biggrin.gif

jamhays Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamhays Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 2:46am
post #34 of 45

I wish WE had an Aldi here! icon_cry.gif

They have one in MS where my mom lived...but no Aldi here in Central TX.

chloe1979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chloe1979 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 1:42pm
post #35 of 45

Yesterday we got a great deal on a scooter for our kids, and they always have random non-food items that are incredible deals (we are very good at keeping tabs on prices on things). Their turkey loins and other random items are sometimes several dollars cheaper than other grocers in town. I never liked Aldi but I find myself there a LOT more lately!

floophs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floophs Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 5:58pm
post #36 of 45

I was just at Aldi and noticed they had all-veg shortening. Same size as Crisco and it was $1.99.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 6:10pm
post #37 of 45

And the veg shortening at my Aldi STILL HAS TRANS FATS! Which in cake world is a good thing.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 6:23pm
post #38 of 45

I'm an Aldi's shopper from way back. Way back to the day before they carried fresh meat and produce.

I don't care for their cake mixes, but give a thumbs_up.gif to everything else they carry. The cereals are made by a "big name" company. One of my best gf has a son in the industry and passed the info on. They're an awesome store for those willing to do a little work for themselves.

You cannot beat their prices for flour! The sugar still comes in 5# bags--it's such a smart way to shop.

Leahs is right on target, btw-- you can save a bundle!!

I stock WAYYYY up everytime I go.

BTW--canned soups for .47 cents per can and they're GOOD!!!

AmyCakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyCakes2 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 6:24pm
post #39 of 45

icon_sad.gif We still don't have the shortening! icon_sad.gif I really liked it and it was so much more affordable than Walmart's - however the last time I got it there, it was up to all most $3. Go figure.....

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 1:16am
post #40 of 45

OK, because of this post I made my first trip to Aldi today icon_lol.gif It is right around the corner but I never knew what it was. Thanks to the many who gave tips like needing a quarter to get a cart and to bring your own bags. Most of the store was "no name" brand items with brand names sprinkled in now and then. I saw an eisle with a few toys/misc things and I can see how you might get lucky on any given day and find a good deal.

I bought some chocolate chips to see if I notice the difference, a few boxes of mix, Arizona iced tea was a great deal too. I can see buying baking things there if the quality is the same as brand name but I am not sure I'd buy a lot of other things there. Just my personal opinion, I love to be introduced to new spots to shop icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 1:49am
post #41 of 45

Awww, go on and try their house brands. I swear you will not notice the difference. I put their "Ritz" crackers on a separate plate along with some real Ritz crackers and DH could not tell the difference. Ditto for their "Triscuits." Canned tuna is the same. No difference in pasta. We use a ton of the canned tomatoes - well more in the winter for soups.

When you think about it, Aldi doesn't have their own cracker or canning facilities. They've contracted with the nam,e brand producers to put the "real" products in boxes and cans with the Aldi name on the outside.

We have a B&B. I can't tell you how many compliments we get on juices. Yes, juices. Frozen from Aldi. We do throw a packet of Sweet N Low into the pitcher of frozen OJ once it's made up.

Seriously, dive in!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:06am
post #42 of 45

persnickety picky me.....

loves Aldi.

Their "wheat thins" $1.09 vs. almost $3 in WalMart and I think Aldi's taste better!

Ditto for salad dressings, croutons, etc.

I've found very little that wasn't the same or better.

Better: Grandessa anything almost.

and the fresh fruits & veggie prices as well as prices on cheese (about which I'm VERY! picky) can't be beat.

I'm down to going to WalMart for the very few things I can't get there --> diet lemon-lime soda, unsweetened cranberry juice concentrate, Ben & Jerry's New York Super Fudge Chunk ice cream, and certain brand of TP.

leah_s Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:16am
post #43 of 45

I am seriously addicted to their cheese crackers. The ones that are like Cheez-its, only Aldi's are WAAAY better. Doug have you tried those? They. Are. Food.Crack.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 2:28am
post #44 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I am seriously addicted to their cheese crackers. The ones that are like Cheez-its, only Aldi's are WAAAY better. Doug have you tried those? They. Are. Food.Crack.

not yet as not a big fan of cheese crackers....

their take on wheat thins functions the same for me. If it last one day I'm lucky!

and I love their croutons right from the package as a snack.

and theirs is the only Colby cheese I like out side of the stuff I used to be able to get in Illinois.

and is summer addicted to their Grandessa frozen fruit bars!!! Pineapple and Pina Colda esp.

and their premium processed cheese product is the BEST (hey -- it goes great on the "scattered, smothered, covered, capped, and chunked hash browns" I make

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 3:29am
post #45 of 45

Oh my gosh, I love Aldis. I can save so much money there and for a family of 6 who loves to eat this is important. I'm picky, very picky, about what food I buy and serve and I have no issues shopping there since I know it's just differently packaged higher priced food. I never have used their chocolate chips as since I use Ghirradelli, but I'll give them a try next time I go. (I wish Trader Joes was closer to me though)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%