1 Tsp Vanilla
1 cup milk
1/3 cup butter
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 tsp baking powder
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon sugar
4 eggs (yolks seperated from whites)
(whites whipped to stiff peaks with sugar)

1 tsp cinn
1 tsp nutmeg
1/4 cup brownsugar

Then the cake mix

I baked the cake, and then put it on a cooling rack. I took it out of the pan and laid it top side down, when I put it right side up again, a skin peeled off the cake. Why did this happen? The cake is not crummy, the "skin" tasted very good... and the cake underneath was perfectly fine. It just seemed like there was "skin" on the cake.

I was just wondering why this happened and is there anything that will stop it, or is it my additions?

I will find out tomarrow when I cut and tort it if there is anything else wrong with it. (I hope not - it is for a cake on Sunday)

Thanks for the help
Nikki

10 replies
ericaann79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaann79 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 7:24am
post #2 of 11

This happens to me when my cakes are really moist...actually it happens to me on almost all of my cakes, that is why I don't cool them upside down anymore, but usually I have to level it a little bit and it comes off anyway.

bartar01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bartar01 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 10:19am
post #3 of 11

I get this too. It's usually the part I cut off when leveling my cake, though, so I don't worry about it too much. Your recipe sounds yummy!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 11:36am
post #4 of 11

Since I've seen this on cakes since I started baking, I never thought of it being a problem. Before I was a cake decorator, I would always "Peel" that skin off because it would mess up the icing (Back in the day when you just iced the cake while still in the pan).

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 12:13pm
post #5 of 11

wow i'm really curious... i never get anything remotely like a skin.

am i doing something wrong? icon_biggrin.gif

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 12:14pm
post #6 of 11

oh- just had a thought. maybe it only happens with mixes? i bake from scratch... man i'm really wondering now!

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 12:36pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Since I've seen this on cakes since I started baking, I never thought of it being a problem. Before I was a cake decorator, I would always "Peel" that skin off because it would mess up the icing (Back in the day when you just iced the cake while still in the pan).

Agreed as usual!! I thought this was the norm!

SCPATTICAKESCREACTIONS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SCPATTICAKESCREACTIONS Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 12:36pm
post #8 of 11

I get this also sometimes...I always thought it was caused by the flour and shortening that I prep the pans with. I usually leave mine on there and turn that side down...it sticks to the cake board better than using the glob of icing....it does taste just like the cake!!

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 12:53pm
post #9 of 11

I would think it's just the top of the sugar carmelizing.

Mike

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:18pm
post #10 of 11

No worries, it's just the sign of a supermoist cake. I bake from scratch and get this all the time. Don't sweat it!

nikki72905 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki72905 Posted 28 Jun 2008 , 4:13am
post #11 of 11

Thank you!!!

That's cool that it is the norm. I normally get something like it but this time it was really prominant... and the cake was super moist. I can't wait for everyone at church to try it... I'll post a picture tomarrow.

It didn't turn out quite like I had planned but I also didn't do as much as originally planned. The cake is for a church venue and a lot of people will be bringing things, so I thought that I would scale the cake down from my original thought.

But none the less another cake done, more lessons learned...!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%