3D Pan Help

Decorating By Melan Updated 27 Jun 2008 , 3:38pm by allee

Melan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melan Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:56am
post #1 of 5

I am going to purchase Wilton's 3D Car pan. I have never done a character pan or a 3D pan. Is this something that can be done easily? I can pipe so I'm thinking that is a big plus, but this is my first experience with this type of pan. It's for my son, for this weekend. Should I crumb coat first?

Also, I bought Wilton's Black Decorating Icing that is in the tube. I will need it just for a few accents on the car. Does this icing crust? Or will it bleed onto buttercream? The car will be green for the most part, black wheels/windows.

I'll appreciate any help!

4 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 6:24am
post #3 of 5

I did an airplane recently and it was a dream to make. Easy to pipe along the outline or add details as I liked.

I used a moist cake, and did not have to crumb coat it as it came out with a firm 'skin' on the outside and I was afraid of tearing it in the crevices.

It made doing a 3D cake a really fun experience. It was my first time using a character pan too. Loved it.

Melan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melan Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:56pm
post #4 of 5

good, thanks for the help.

I'd still like to know if anyone has used that premade Wilton Black icing in the tube.

allee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allee Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 3:38pm
post #5 of 5

I keep several tubes of Wilton's black and red on hand for small projects. It will crust and I haven't had it bleed into/onto my buttercream so far. And actually, it doesn't taste all that bad. I just can't seem to make a really black or red icing, so I keep them "just in case". HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%