Forgot Liners In Between Layers, Any Tips?

Decorating By marrenistvan Updated 27 Jun 2008 , 2:26am by JanH

marrenistvan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marrenistvan Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 8:45pm
post #1 of 6

I just finished stacking my first wedding cake (6, 8, 12), and was being so particular about getting it smooth and crumb free that I completely forgot to put wax paper between the icing and the cardboard in between the layers. I am so irritated at myself for forgetting. Is there any way to fix this or will they just have to scrape the icing off when they disassemble and cut? They were mostly wrapped in foil except for a little underneath, ugh. icon_cool.gif

5 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 9:12pm
post #2 of 6

I never put anything between my layers. I use a crusting buttercream and not much sticks to the cardboard believe it or not!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 10:01pm
post #3 of 6

I never put anything between, either. Agree with the above ... the trick is a good, crusting icing.

Here's a pic of a cake that I've disassembled at a wedding http://cateritsimple.com/_wsn/page9.html ... notice the plate imprints in the top of the icing, which shows that the upper tier was sitting right on the icing ... the icing didn't pull away at all. Works the same way when I use just cardboards.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 10:24pm
post #4 of 6

I'm sure you probably meany tiers instead of layers. I put some coarse sugar in between the top of the cake and the bottom of the plate, but when I forget, well, it's no big deal.

marrenistvan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marrenistvan Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 2:20am
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the help, you guys are superstars!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 2:26am
post #6 of 6

Hi and Congrats on your 1st post, marrenistvan. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%