(Rant) I Hate Hate Hate Pillsbury Cake Mix!!!

Decorating By Misdawn Updated 27 Jun 2008 , 7:51pm by jessieb578

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:37am
post #1 of 25

I know this topic has been covered before, but I just have to get this off my chest. icon_mad.gif

I have a wedding cake to be picked up Friday morning...yes, this Friday... icon_cry.gif Now ordinarily I have no particular brand loyalty, but usually I use DH or BC cake mixes just becuase they are usually stocked at eye level on the shelf in the local grocery store and are easy to grab quickly. I will NEVER NEVER NEVER use pillsbury cake mixes again! thumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gif

I stayed up until 4:00 AM this morning baking cakes and every last one of those sons of @#%&* came out cratered in the middle... not sunken...not uneven...CRATERED. icon_mad.gif I had to go back to the store, get some DH mixes, and bake all day today. I am still baking. I will be up until 4 AM again tonight (if I get to sleep at all!)

24 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 10:27am
post #2 of 25

Sorry, but I have no advice to give you on this. I do not use that brand often, but I have used several of their flavors in the past, and I have never had a problem with it.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

jlo6024 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlo6024 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 10:51am
post #3 of 25

Pillsbury is all i ever use and have NEVER had a problem. Wonder what that was all about?!?!?!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 10:51am
post #4 of 25

I'm so so sorry that happened! (((big hig)))

I have had problems with Pillsbury and Betty. Betty and I had baked together forever. Honey, I divorced her arse. She's maybe better now but I use doctored Duncan and a few scratch now. I'm scared of Pills and I won't even speak to Betty anymore...rhymes with itch.

I feel yah! Been there. So sorry!!! Horribly incredibly frustrating.

Try to at least catch a cat nap, Cake-buddy.

AmyCakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyCakes2 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 11:24am
post #5 of 25

That's really weird! I'm so sorry! I only use Pillsbury or DH, NEVER BC - have never had a cake turn out right with BC. Maybe it was a bad batch??
Hang in there!

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 11:38am
post #6 of 25

Iteresting, I ONLY use Pillsbury and will go to the ends of the earth to get it before I use another brand! None of my local stores carries Pillsbury Classic White, so I travel to a Super Wal Mart and buy no less than 20 boxes of Pillsbury every couple of weeks!

I'm sorry about your craters, it's frustrating to say the least ... especially for a wedding cake!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 11:38am
post #7 of 25

I always use Pillsbury white and DH dark chocolate

I once had trouble with my whites caving in.. icon_sad.gif not since then though have I had any trouble

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 11:57am
post #8 of 25

I think there have been batches of every kind of box mix that has had a horrible turn out. It's like their combining equipment adds too much of this and not enough that into a batch and that batch gets boxed and shipped and then wham! If you get several boxes from that same batch you get a bunch of bad mixes and that is the worst.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:03pm
post #9 of 25

I just used 14 of the Pillsbury White this morning with no problem. I too like the DH Dark Chocolate fudge. Either do ok for me. I'm wondering if you didn't maybe get an old batch, did you happen to check the date? I do feel BAD for you this has got to be beyond frustrating. Saying a prayer all goes well for the rest of the day for you. Hugs to you fellow baker!!!! Keep baking thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:20pm
post #10 of 25

Sounds like you may have gotten a bad batch of the mix.... Pillsbury is all I've ever used. I always doctor mine and have excellent results ... I can't imagine why it would have done that ... strange

ChefAngie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefAngie Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:23pm
post #11 of 25

When my Father taught me how to make and bake cakes-I learned scratch and when time became a factor he showed me how to use DUNCAN HINES.
I cannot comment on Betty Crocker.
Pillsbury- I will not use.
Chef Angie

Misdawn Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:37pm
post #12 of 25

Pillsbury's classic white flavor mix - that's what I used. Anyway, I went back to the store, got some BC and finished bkaing at about 3 this morning. Now I just have to frost, fondant, stack, and decorate today. Yay!

Danielle1218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danielle1218 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:37pm
post #13 of 25

OMG...that is too bad. I feel your pain. I always use Pillsbury and I have never had a problem. However..............sometimes I do notice the middle of my cake sinks a bit if it is a big cake (12 x 1icon_cool.gif, so I usually put an upside down flower nail in the middle of the pan before I bake it (to act as a heating core). Never any problems.

Misdawn Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 12:40pm
post #14 of 25

I made a 6, 10, and 14 with the flower nails in the 10 and 14. The 10 and 14 cratered the worst! Don't knwo what that's about. Anyway, it's all ok now, I just had to vent before I blew a gasket!!!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 6:13pm
post #15 of 25

I've used Pillsbury for the last 18 years and never had a problem. I recently had to BC and DH because the Pillsbury was gone and that was the only time I had a problem with the middle. Going back to Pillsbury for me. Sorry this happened to you.

toshaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toshaw Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 6:27pm
post #16 of 25

Isn't it funny how all of us use different mixes and have our favorites..
I use Betty Crocker and the cake shop I worked at used Dunkin Heinz..

I love Betty Crocker... but I change the directions.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 6:27pm
post #17 of 25

Pillsbury is my least favorite of the 3. Closely followed by DH. I used to use DH but switched to BC and will never go back. I think BC cakes are less crumbly than DH and Pillsbury... I don't know why but just don't like them. icon_confused.gif

Chefperl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefperl Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 6:28pm
post #18 of 25

It sounds like you have a bad batch, call the company and tell them. they will send you coupons for free mixes.

bwonderful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bwonderful Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 5:50am
post #19 of 25

I hate pillsbury too... It always cracks or falls apart for me. I have a friend who always requests a "Funfetti" cake (seriously) and I dread it everytime. maybe it's the humidity here..

MissDawn, I'm from Longview too. I moved here to Houston a few years ago but my mom and brother are still there.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 6:14am
post #20 of 25

Oh, I'm sorry!! That sucks icon_sad.gif Pillsbury is my brand of choice for chocolate and I refuse to use any other, but it's always a Dr'd mix. Always Betty Crocker for my FV and I really don't use cake mixes for the other flavors.....the time I tried a delicious scratch chocolate cake but it was a crumby nightmare.......back to Pillsbury I go.

divancali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divancali Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 6:58pm
post #21 of 25

OMG. I HATE Pillsbury too! I only use it if I'm baking a cake for a kid, the Funfetti, and it's no big deal about how it turns out.

Ordinarily, I only use Duncan Hines.

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 7:23pm
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by toshaw

Isn't it funny how all of us use different mixes and have our favorites..
I use Betty Crocker and the cake shop I worked at used Dunkin Heinz..

I love Betty Crocker... but I change the directions.

This made me laugh. Not sure if it was intentional but when I saw Dunkin Heinz I thought..Ketchup flavored Donuts.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

To get back on track. I use a doctored pillsbury and I love it. I have used most of the flavors and haven't had a problem.

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 7:42pm
post #23 of 25

Ketchup flavored donuts icon_surprised.gif) LOL

Bwonderful ~ you can create a Funfetti cake with Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker mixes by simply adding colored sprinkles.

Peeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeg Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 7:44pm
post #24 of 25

SORRY!!! I dearly LOVE Philsbury cake mix. I hate the others......

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 7:51pm
post #25 of 25

Betty Crocker is all I use, never tried the others because I was scared of having different results!!

I posted a thing the other day - has anyone used Gold Medal mixes??

Btw...Betty Crocker has it's own "funfetti" it's something like Party Rainbow Chip or something similar to that. It's not as white as funfetti, but has the rainbow sprinkles in it! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%