Seashells

Decorating By lflowermoon Updated 27 Jun 2008 , 2:07pm by misha35

lflowermoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lflowermoon Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 6:57pm
post #1 of 13

Summertime: another cake with seashells....
icon_smile.gif
I have wonderful First Impression molds, but still no clue on obtaining "natural seashells" ...
The cake will be 4 tiers ,off white fondant with luster dust, some sand on the bottom, and the bride does not want too much white or a color like blue or pink.
Thanks for all your suggestions! thumbs_up.gif

12 replies
kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 7:46pm
post #2 of 13

What do you mean by "natural seashells"? I had seashells on my wedding cake dusted in Super Pearl.....

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=35297

You could use a couple other colors to mix it up a bit.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 8:28pm
post #3 of 13

I agree that dusting the molded shells w/petal dust (luster or other) will help make them look real.
Just use your color dusts sparingly. Mix them w/some cornstarch, white SuperPearl or such to lighten the colors. Natural shells hav e streaks of color...not solid.

lflowermoon Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:39pm
post #4 of 13

The bride does not want white, so luster or pearl dust it is not enough....Blue or pink neither...

lflowermoon Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:39pm
post #5 of 13

what about a bronze color?...Would you do stripes in the mold, or just sprinkle the powder?

lflowermoon Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:41pm
post #6 of 13

luster or pearl dust
are not enough.
no white, no blue, no pink... icon_confused.gif

lflowermoon Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:42pm
post #7 of 13

sorry , my computer is acting funny... icon_redface.gif

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 12:07pm
post #8 of 13

How i do my seashells is i mold the shells with white chocolate candy clay, Then i take some different shades of brown, tans, corals, any color dust that looks sheashellish to me. Paint the dusts on dry in stripes then go over the whole shell with pearl dust, to soften the colors and add the shine that shell have.

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:45pm
post #9 of 13

You may also be able to use the Guylian (sp?) shells - you can get them just about everywhere (I know for sure Wally World has them, and Trader Joe's has their own brand name of them). They're the white and milk chocolate swirled shells with the hazelnut center.

I've used them on beach-themed cakes cupcakes - huge hit.

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 2:01pm
post #10 of 13

I use luster oyster
coral
shrimp

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 2:06pm
post #11 of 13

for this cake, not sure if you can see the shells... I took white chocolate and melted it maybe a cup or so of it, then took a tsp. of very finely grated milk chocolate and added it to the white chocolate and stirred just a touch , the milk chocolate was so fine that it melted almost immediately and then I just marbled them in my measuring cup (just a little bit) and then poured them into the molds, then when they were set I dusted them with super pearl luster dust.
LL

GRAMMASUE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GRAMMASUE Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 2:06pm
post #12 of 13

I do mine the same way as Peg1818. Chocolate molds and then brush with different colors of luster dust. Here is an example. A picture of the entire cake is in my photos.
LL

misha35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misha35 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 2:07pm
post #13 of 13

here's a cake I did with shells.
I used the white candy melts from hobby lobby & mixed food color in.
The sand dollars & large white shells came from a local chocolate store. The medium shells were made using a soap mold from hobby lobby. The small shells were made using small candy molds from hobby lobby.
I'm working on a cake for the 5th that will use primary colors in the shells.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1161819

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%