Can I Make A Cake Dummy?

Decorating By maryj Updated 26 Jun 2008 , 9:10pm by maryj

maryj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryj Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 14

I know that you can buy cake dummies, but has anyone made one? And if you have how do you construct a cake dummy? thanks

13 replies
southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 7:55pm
post #2 of 14

I have used both styrofoam from Wal-Mart and sheets of polystyrene insulation from Lowes in the past to make dummies.

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 8:01pm
post #3 of 14

You can stack and decorate them as with a real cake, if you are covering it with fondant, all you need to do is dampen it with a wet paper towel or brush on some piping gel and cover as usual. I don't use dowels because it's so light, just some royal icing to stack, some people cover it first with contact paper or plastic wrap so ther can reuse.

enthralled Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enthralled Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 8:06pm
post #4 of 14

If you're just wanting something to practice on, this is what I did when I first started out considering my imagination was larger than my bank account! icon_wink.gif

I went to my local grocery store and purchased a complete cake container (lid and bottom) for a couple of dollars- sometimes they'll even GIVE you one according to who you run upon. They usually have 12", 10", 8" double and single (round) and various sheet cake sizes. I took it home and wrapped 2-3 layers of saran wrap tightly around them to help smooth out the grooving that they're sometimes made with.

Though it was not perfect like a cake dummy... I could practice till my heart was content AND became good at evening out not-so-perfectly round cakes!

Good Luck

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 8:10pm
post #5 of 14
lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 8:20pm
post #6 of 14

What great ideas! Of course, this comes AFTER I spent $80 plus for many cake dummies... well, now I know what to do! Thanks for the great ideas~

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 10:07pm
post #7 of 14

Thanks for all the info! I love this site. icon_smile.gif
Jen...

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 11:19pm
post #8 of 14

Thanks!! I have been looking for ideas for charachter pans!!

enthralled Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 3:11am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by enthralled

If you're just wanting something to practice on, this is what I did when I first started out considering my imagination was larger than my bank account! icon_wink.gif

I went to my local grocery store and purchased a complete cake container (lid and bottom) for a couple of dollars- sometimes they'll even GIVE you one according to who you run upon. They usually have 12", 10", 8" double and single (round) and various sheet cake sizes. I took it home and wrapped 2-3 layers of saran wrap tightly around them to help smooth out the grooving that they're sometimes made with.

Though it was not perfect like a cake dummy... I could practice till my heart was content AND became good at evening out not-so-perfectly round cakes!

Good Luck

I meant to relay that they have these in the bakery dept! If you ask to speak with the cake decorator, she'll be able to help!

:0 Sorry ... good luck again!

maryj Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 11:30am
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncake

I have used both styrofoam from Wal-Mart and sheets of polystyrene insulation from Lowes in the past to make dummies.

And what do you do with these sheets of styrofoam/poly to make the cake dummy?

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 5:13pm
post #11 of 14

Here is the idiot question of the day.... what exactly are you calling a "cake container"? Is it the box in which it comes from a deli? Most of the bakery boxes are so flimsy, (with plastic windows) that I do not think I could find stability in that! Would someone please tell me another term for "cake container"?

DeniseFL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseFL Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 7:57pm
post #12 of 14

BUMP!
Waiting for some more expert replies..
I am loving this thread..
icon_biggrin.gif

enthralled Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 7:09am
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutie

Here is the idiot question of the day.... what exactly are you calling a "cake container"? Is it the box in which it comes from a deli? Most of the bakery boxes are so flimsy, (with plastic windows) that I do not think I could find stability in that! Would someone please tell me another term for "cake container"?

Glad to explain exactly what I'm calling a 'cake container' ....
they 'cake container' DO come from the bakery/deli dept; however, it's not a cardboard box (which I wouldn't dream of using since the cardboard would obviously fall apart! icon_eek.gif ) , it's a plastic container with plenty enough stability to use for practice. As a matter of fact, I've trained a couple of budding cake decorators on these.

For those who don't have the $80-$100 to run out and buy the real deal, this is a good start.

maryj Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 9:10pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryj

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncake

And what do you do with these sheets of styrofoam/poly to make the cake dummy?

Anybody????

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%