Atten: Cake Experts Only!

Baking By dcabrera Updated 28 Jun 2008 , 11:27pm by sadiepix

dcabrera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcabrera Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 50

I'm very new at cake decorating and I'm crazy in love with this art. I've been going nuts trying to do everything from scratch. Also finding the perfect buttercream/cake mix recipes. In all honesty, how many of you actually make you cake mix from scratch? icon_smile.gif

49 replies
jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:32pm
post #2 of 50

Some from scratch, some from mixes - my most loved cake is the WASC cake from this site, it's a doctored cake mix. My favorite scratch cake is a chocolate cake that I use...so I guess it all depends. I just use whatever makes the best tasting cake regardles of if it's from scratch or a mix.

Hey Paula Deen uses mixes sometimes for all kinds of things ....and so do many other famous chefs, so why not us??

jewelykaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelykaye Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:33pm
post #3 of 50

I don't. I do doctored cake mixes. The bakery that I used to work at just used start Duncan Hines mixes. The bakery I currently rent from just uses straight mixes as well.

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:37pm
post #4 of 50

I won't give away all my secrets, but I do make some stuff from scratch and "cheat" with some others. I know that it did take me 2 years to perfect my buttercream, and to this day I am the only one that actually knows the recipe! ( I guess I should write it down somewhere in case I die!) I have been doing this for 10+ years and with the "cheated" things I have yet to EVER have a complaint from anyone! I guess you just have to try and see what works best for you and your customers. I know that if I changed the way I did something now, cake or icing they would KILL me! I did make one WASC cake, and myself and others weren't that impressed...maybe I just didn't make the best recipe...? I will try again, but make my family be the guinea pigs! Good luck!

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:38pm
post #5 of 50

I primarily use scratch recipes. I will use a box if someones budget needs to be worked around...it is faster and less shopping...

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:40pm
post #6 of 50

I do both also. I use a commercial 50 lb. bag of Pillsbury white and devil's food cake mixes. I also doctor the white for strawberry, lemon and almond. I doctor the devil's food for mocha. Other cakes I make from scratch like carrot, banana, sour cream pound cake, etc.

Nothing wrong with a mix as long as it tastes good!

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:41pm
post #7 of 50

Duncan Hines and doctor mixes. Thats it....

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:42pm
post #8 of 50

I do some scratch and dr cake mix, a good book to buy it "The Cake Mix Doctor." It's like my cake bible, and all the cake I have done from this book so far is fail proof.

cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:50pm
post #9 of 50

I personally am a "Scratch" baker. I wonder how many of the doctored mix users clients know that's what they are using??? Or know enough to ask. And if they find this out, how ok are they with this?

Just wondering?

I know that in the end if the client is happy that's all that counts and that there is more to a cake than the cake it self. You can have a wonderful tasting cake and it look like crap because the decorating is lacking. So, I guess it's six to one half dozen of the other. I understand each person is different and that's what makes the world go round. So, not trying to offend anyone. icon_smile.gif

A couple of good books to check out at your local library are, "The Art of the Cake:Modern French Baking and Decorating" by Bruce Healy and Paul Bugat

&

"The Cake Bible" by Rose Levy Beranbaum

Good Luck!!! thumbs_up.gif

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:57pm
post #10 of 50

personally, i let my customers know that i use dr mixes-i strive to spend my time on the details decorating the cake-i've had no complaints. i use scratch for carrot cake though so i guess it depends on a lot-time, budget, time-tested recipies. i would have to charge a lot more for my cakes if i used scratch for everything and i've already had a few questions about pricing-hey, it's my time not theirs and those that are willing to spend don't complain hoe that helps

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:57pm
post #11 of 50

I bake all cakes from scratch except for the WASC cake. I had never used a mix before, but after experimenting with WASC cake, I found DH tasted the best after it was baked. The others tasted and smelled like chemicals. I have never tried any variations with this recipe other than adding more flavoring and using different flavorings.

dcabrera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcabrera Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:59pm
post #12 of 50

Thanks guys, now I don't so feel bad. I guess I need to buy the doctor book.

teenteen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teenteen Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 7:03pm
post #13 of 50

All from scratch, hon. It's a little more work and a little more expensive, but worth it to me.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 7:04pm
post #14 of 50

Scratch only and forever. I can taste the chemicals in boxed cakes. And besides, it sets me apart from all the bakeries in town!

Jenni2383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenni2383 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 7:07pm
post #15 of 50

Duncan Hines is the best box mix, which I was suprised to find out. I always bought Pilsbury, but since starting my business, DH rises better, every one of my orders have received rave reviews!! Of course you have to make carrot from scratch.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 7:15pm
post #16 of 50

i do not own a business, but i consider myself to be pretty experienced. i bake scratch, and like leah said, it sets us apart.even if someone were to ask me to make a mix cake to keep the budget down, i would not have a problem turning them down and letting them know that if that is what they wanted, they could get that just about anywhere. i pride myself in having learned the art of decorating AND baking and i like to be known as one who goes the extra mile, even if it costs me more time and money. (plus i think it tastes yummier!)

pjmw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjmw Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 7:20pm
post #17 of 50

90% mixes...my favorite scratch recipe is my grandmother's ice water cake--it's kind of a cross between white cake and angel food. It's very expensive to make so I don't do it often. There are a couple of other recipes I do from scratch, but it's mostly mixes for me.

Paula

MadPhoeMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadPhoeMom Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 7:30pm
post #18 of 50

i bake from scratch....
i only use a box if someone needs a white cake, and then i doctor (use butter, sour cream etc......i try to discourage white cake though....just cause it's not MY favorite.....i like a 'toothsome' cake....

i have attempted some white cakes from scratch before....never found one that i thought was worth repeating.....

and i bury my cake mixes under my other groceries....

so why am i a mixaphobe?
i don't really know....i suppose my mentality is that virtually anyone can open a box....i wouldn;t feel justified in charging for something they could do themselves....

i only started decorating to beautify my cakes....i was a baker before i was a decorator...my first love is baking....

call me a cake snob,
sally

melysa Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 7:47pm
post #19 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadPhoeMom

i bake from scratch....
i only use a box if someone needs a white cake, and then i doctor (use butter, sour cream etc......i try to discourage white cake though....just cause it's not MY favorite.....i like a 'toothsome' cake....

i have attempted some white cakes from scratch before....never found one that i thought was worth repeating.....

sally

have you ever tried a buttermilk white cake ? i love using bm in cakes, it makes them so moist. here is a link with several recipes, there are ones using butter down towards the bottom if you want to have a look. http://www.everyrecipe.info/search.php?s=white%20buttermilk%20cake

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 7:53pm
post #20 of 50

Scratch only. I'm so good at it that I can whip one up faster than most people could make one from a box. Plus I can make exactly the amount I need for whatever pan size I'm using.

mcelromi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcelromi1 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 8:14pm
post #21 of 50

It depends on the flavor.
I like my cakes moist and without simple syrups (I absolutly hate cakes that have a simple syrup added for moistness). The box cakes come out moist and consistant every time. And all of my customers know which cakes are box and which are scratch.

Box choice: DH
Scratch Cakes: Pound, and specialty flavors.
All Icings: Scratch

MadPhoeMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadPhoeMom Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 8:23pm
post #22 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by melysa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadPhoeMom

i bake from scratch....

sally

have you ever tried a buttermilk white cake ? i love using bm in cakes, it makes them so moist. here is a link with several recipes, there are ones using butter down towards the bottom if you want to have a look. http://www.everyrecipe.info/search.php?s=white%20buttermilk%20cake

hey.......i'm interested! i adore buttermilk cakes...seems to prevent ANY sort of errors....thanks! i am open to trying....last week i baked through a zillion of those blasted cupcake recipes. one neighbor begged me to quit bringing him samples....then called last night asking 'what i'd been doing lately.' he opted for ice cream.
sally

oliveoyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oliveoyle Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 12:11am
post #23 of 50

pmjw is your grandmothers ice water cake recipe a secret? if not I'l love to have it as my great aunt used to make one and no one in the family knows the recipe.

She also used to make a pinto bean cake(some type of chocolate cake with mashed pinto beans in it for moistness) and a tomato juice cake that were to die for so if anyone has a recipe for thoses I would certainly appreciate it.

now back to the question at hand scratch or doctored box both accually .

melysa Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 12:27am
post #24 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliveoyle

pmjw is your grandmothers ice water cake recipe a secret? if not I'l love to have it as my great aunt used to make one and no one in the family knows the recipe.

She also used to make a pinto bean cake(some type of chocolate cake with mashed pinto beans in it for moistness) and a tomato juice cake that were to die for so if anyone has a recipe for thoses I would certainly appreciate it.

now back to the question at hand scratch or doctored box both accually .

there is a chocolate "surprise" cake in the joy of cooking that uses tomato juice. i've not tried it, but imagine it works in the same manner as buttermilk and coffee in a cake. bmilk to make a tender moist crumb and coffee to intensify the choc flavor. do you have that cookbook?

oliveoyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oliveoyle Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 12:43am
post #25 of 50

No I don't have that cookbook but I can certainly borrow it from my sister thanks for the tip.

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 12:56am
post #26 of 50

Only and always a scratch baker. That's the only way my mom, grandma and everyone else in my family has ever done it. I know some will say the exact opposite but I have NEVER had a boxed cake that I preferred over a scratch cake ever. So I think it is just a matter of preference and what you like.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 12:58am
post #27 of 50

Scratch. I find it easier to stock the ingredients that are used for various products than to have to stock those ingredients as well as flavored cake mixes.

I like cake mixes...I used to use them...I just prefer scratch.

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:20am
post #28 of 50

MadPhoeMom, what is a toothsome cake? icon_confused.gif

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:29am
post #29 of 50

I used to stress myself out over only doing scratch cakes. I made sure that for every box mix, I could make the scratch version. Now I have gone back to boxes for orders for consistency/convenience purposes, but will still do scratch. I have found some wonderful scratch recipes that are very moist and good (white, yellow and chocolate).
Here's the thing, though...it's the icing that can really make/break a cake.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 27 Jun 2008 , 1:53am
post #30 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobean

MadPhoeMom, what is a toothsome cake? icon_confused.gif

As in, "My, that was toothsome!" icon_smile.gif

Definitions of toothsome on the Web:

palatable: acceptable to the taste or mind; "palatable food"; "a palatable solution to the problem"
delectable: extremely pleasing to the sense of taste

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%