Talk About Last Minute Order!...for A Wedding Cake

Business By melodyscakes Updated 24 Jun 2008 , 2:47pm by mkolmar

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 6:57pm
post #1 of 8

I have a bride who came in for a consultation three weeks ago. her wedding was June 21st...three weeks from when she came in. She said something happened to her cake lady, her house burnt down so she couldn't do her cake. I said I could squeeze her in. Deposit today, payment in full the following week. she forgot her checkbook...will drop entire payment off next week. fine. she never showed up...I didn't put her cake in my book to do, because I don't make a wedding cake until payment has been received. right cc'rs? the wedding planner calls me Friday night as I am walking out the door to make a wedding cake delivery then head for home...she calls to confirm delivery of the cake...."what cake?" I say. she tells me that the bride is coming over on the way to the church to deliver the check for the cake. I was puzzled for a moment, then realized that the cake was due the very next day....I told her that if she brought me cash I'd stay and make her cake...just 150 servings. I got paid at 7:30pm. then started baking....came back early in the morning to fill, stack and decorate.
crazy.
when I got there , the lady at the reception site asked if I'd gotten paid yet, I laughed and told her I didn't realized I was even making the cake until the night before...she asked if I took a check...which I learned the hard way before NOT to take a check the day of the wedding.
apparently the cater, the DJ, the reception site, the makup lady,and the florist didn't get paid until the last second and had the run around.

before you ask, no I didn't charge a last minute fee...should've but didn't think about it until midnight. haha

can you beat that for last minute wedding cake order?

sheesh

melody

7 replies
gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 7:09pm
post #2 of 8

well i've seen more last minute orders on here but if it's last minute you may as well pay on time and be courteous! icon_confused.gif

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 2:16am
post #3 of 8

Good for you, demanding cash. I hope you got plenty of it!

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 2:56am
post #4 of 8

I tell you what...she is a lucky bride. Alot of designers would have said thanks but no thanks!

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:06am
post #5 of 8

I don't know if she is the dingyest bride ever, or thought she could smile her way to a free wedding telling everyone the check is in the mail.

strange I tell you.

melody

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 3:27am
post #6 of 8

2 weeks ago a girl called me almost crying (from walmart)....she went in to order a cake for her wedding the next day.

of course they turned her down....they need a couple of weeks to order the "wedding cake kit".

at first i thought i was being punked....i told her i'd do it, but she needed to bring cash in the next 2 hours....or no deal.

she brought it....i prolly normally wouldn't have done it...but i'm saving like crazy for my new roof and every penny counts.

then...a week later, on a saturday, a guy calls and wants a wedding cake THAT DAY....i go.."oh sure, you can have this spare wedding cake i got made up in the back"......"YOU HAVE AN EXTRA ONE IN THE BACK????"

"of course i don't (doe doe)."

amazing.

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 1:52pm
post #7 of 8

Absolutely! Last minute orders are CASH ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_wink.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 2:47pm
post #8 of 8

Now that's a last minute order.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%