Omg Please Help! I Don't Know What To Do With This Bride!...

Business By mom2spunkynbug Updated 25 Jun 2008 , 9:06pm by michellenj

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 6:42pm
post #31 of 50

You do have her toper so you need to make sure she gets it's back. I would just send her another e-mail with a "request read receipt" selected before you send the e-mail so as soon as she opens the e-mail she should have to select send receipt. That way you know she has at least opened and possibly read your e-mail.

You dont want bridezilla saying that you have cakenapped her topper!

Good Luck.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 7:23pm
post #32 of 50

If you have her address, mail her topper back with a letter re-stating what you said. You can get the proof of delivery on that.

I can't wait to hear her response, if any. But I'm sure there will be one.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 7:49pm
post #33 of 50

I am sure this has been said but I would just call her and tell her that so sorry, I have booked your date, and where can I send back your cake topper, etc? If she whines and cries, then tell her that you do not put ANYTHING On the calendar until an agreement is signed and the check has been cashed. Period.

I think the good lord was on your side too! Let her go do it herself!

Jessica1817 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessica1817 Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 1:36am
post #34 of 50

I am going through the same thing right now--and this advice has been very helpful! My bride told me a week ago everything ($, contract)would be sent, its due this Saturday, and I've heard nothing. They must think we have lots of extra time to track them down! The craziest part is she has a wedding planner--I would've thought that would've helped to keep her organized, esp since she said she forgot all about the cake icon_confused.gif

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:34am
post #35 of 50

Well, in case anyone is interested, the bride called me. I accidentally left my phone in the car today so she got my voice mail. She was pretty upset. She said she didn't know what she's going to do now, and that since we had a tasting she figured we were all set. She also said the check came back to her because she didn't write the street number on the envelope ( icon_confused.gif ) and she didn't know anything about a contract (I double checked my email I sent her in Feb. and that was in there.)

Last month I had two students in my Wilton class from a local bakery. It was the owners (husband & wife) in the class & no other students! After she called, I called them & told them what had happened & asked if they have that date available, and they do! They said it's the only weekend in August that they have available! They also said that they think she called - she explained it to me & we're pretty sure that it's her - she's having a tasting on Sunday with them (I'm pretty sure that they're not going to use her recipe). So as long as she likes them, she'll be getting her cake from them.

So, I called her back (got her voice mail) and apologized again and said that I needed the deposit in order to hold the date & that I have had so many tastings since then, that other people have paid in full for their wedding cakes for that whole weekend. I referred her to the other bakery & left her their number. I also offered to bring her the cake topper.

When she called back I was in the shower! so she had to leave a message. She said she already found someone else to do the cake and to bring the topper to her house - just leave it on the porch.

So I will do that tomorrow icon_cool.gif

mom2spunkynbug Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:42am
post #36 of 50

Oh, and I just wanted to add...

It was not like we even had a real cake tasting. Usually during a tasting, we sit down, they taste the cake right there, we talk about the cake, etc.

This "tasting"...I had called her & told her I could do any Saturday except <whatever date the bridal show was on>. So she calls back and says "oh I can definitely do it on <whatever date the bridal show was on>" and I'm like icon_confused.gif So we decided I'd just do the cupcakes for her on that date - she came alone, picked them up & gave me her topper then. I went over what the contract entailed and that was that.

I have no idea where her wedding is, what time, even what filling she wanted...

Oh well - I am free of it now! icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:44am
post #37 of 50

Well glory be careful about leaving that topper out. I would not be comfortable about doing that. Unless maybe it's an enclosed porch. Naw, I'd want to hand it to a live person.

Wow she assumed a lot from a tasting--yet another good reason not to do them. icon_lol.gif

ATCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ATCakes Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:46am
post #38 of 50

I would take a camera & take a picture of the topper on the porch--just in case she says she didn't get it back!! You have to cover your butt wit this one. icon_lol.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:47am
post #39 of 50

Well actually, housing the topper kind of made it a more permanent an arrangement a little bit. I mean we know we get the deposit to hold the date nothing doubting. But I mean I would not have kept the topper without a deposit. But that's just me.

mom2spunkynbug Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:55am
post #40 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

...But I mean I would not have kept the topper without a deposit. But that's just me.

Lesson learned. icon_rolleyes.gif

Well, we live in the country (pretty much) and she told me exactly where to leave it on her back porch - I'm not afraid of anyone taking it. Or do you think I should wait until before I leave to teach my class...'cause she'll probably be home then (if she's not doing anything).

ATCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ATCakes Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:57am
post #41 of 50

I would wait. I get antsy when someone says leave it at the door or on the porch. That is leaving you open to a whole nother set of problems.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 11:34am
post #42 of 50

Well I don't think her reaction is surprising. But she might have learned a valuable lesson that the world doesnt revolve around her schedule.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 11:59am
post #43 of 50

She can't get you a check, she can't drive 5 minutes to hand you a check, she horses around until you're booked and now she's screwed ....

And she expects YOU to return her topper/??????

Gosh, I'd be too darn busy to "get around" to doing that. As her wedding date approaches, I'm sure she'll be able to "find time" to get her little busy butt to your place to pick it up.

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 12:13pm
post #44 of 50

I'm so glad you didn't cave for her! If she has done any other planning she knows that vendors require deposits...she didn't get you one because of her mistake. Just accepting the topper did not insinuate a contract.

You were great to check into another vendor for her...more than I would have done. But, I'm with Debi...she needs to pick up the topper...at a convenient time for you!!!

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 12:24pm
post #45 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

She can't get you a check, she can't drive 5 minutes to hand you a check, she horses around until you're booked and now she's screwed ....

And she expects YOU to return her topper/??????

Gosh, I'd be too darn busy to "get around" to doing that. As her wedding date approaches, I'm sure she'll be able to "find time" to get her little busy butt to your place to pick it up.

I agree! Don't waste your gas on her! You already gave her cupcakes and stored her stuff for a while... let her pick it up!

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 12:31pm
post #46 of 50

LOL Alison..."Stored her stuff"!!! hahaha

Yeah, we don't like her...make her come to you to pick up the topper! icon_biggrin.gif

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 12:36pm
post #47 of 50

Wow, this bride cannot be so stupid that she doesn't know how to properly address an envelope. Something happened twice, so obviously she just didn't intend to pay a deposit. I would not mail her the topper nor would I drop it off. Why should you spend money on gas or postage? Let her pick it up from your front porch!

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 12:36pm
post #48 of 50

I agree, let her pick it up, gas is too high for that crap, she has nerve.

mom2spunkynbug Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 2:24pm
post #49 of 50

LOL icon_lol.gif You guys have me cracking up here!

I start to feel bad about it...then I'm like WAIT A MINUTE! I didn't do anything wrong!

Yeah, I would have her pick it up...except I'm a licensed at-home baker...so yeah....don't really want her coming to my house icon_rolleyes.gif I don't mind dropping it off to her. I will go there before my class tonight - you all make some good points though!!

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 9:06pm
post #50 of 50

Sounds like you got lucky by not doing this cake. You know that if you had done it, it would not have been right somehow, and she'd have hassled you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%