How Do You Match Diamond Impression Mat Pattern?

Decorating By Toptier Updated 21 Jun 2008 , 9:12pm by CakeDiva73

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 8:54pm
post #1 of 2

Does anyone have tips on how to match the pattern on these types of mats - especially on a round cake? I'm looking to buy one, do they come with instructions or am I just being stupid? This has always puzzled me. Do you just have it not match and make this the back of the cake? Any tips, anyone? Thank you!

1 reply
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 9:12pm
post #2 of 2

I watched the Sugarshack DVD and she did it starting at the back of the cake, using a crusting icing. She placed it and applied gentle but even pressure, then pulled it off the icing. (remember not to press all the way to the edges of the mat or you will get an impression of vertical edges - not what you want!)

She wiped the mat with a dry paper towel to remove any grease that may cause sticking. Then rotate the cake to the left (if you are right handed) and overlap the impression mat to match the pattern - overlap at least two or three inches so when you apply pressure again, you are not having to press again the edges of the mat. Basically, if your mat is 9" long, you are going to work with the 6" or so in the middle, wiping after each use.

Once you have worked your way around the cake, you will find that it never matches up perfectly in the back. Just match it as best you can (that's why we always have a 'back' icon_smile.gif ).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%