Please Give Me Some Advise On This..gp Or Ri Detailing

Decorating By wgoat5 Updated 3 Jul 2008 , 11:10am by wgoat5

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 10:55pm
post #1 of 11

See the pic? I have to either accomplish this either in RI or GP...

It will be sitting on top of the cake... I don't want a 4 D cupcake sitting on top.. I want it flat or close to flat...

Here are my thoughts..

If I cut a 2 templates for both the top and bottom of this cupcake and pipe them out in RI will I be able to stick them together (joining them with the same color RI..) and make them look right... I also have to add a gp candle...which I will have on a flat long piece of lollypop type of stick .. that will run down the MIDDLe of this.. and into the cake...

OR should I do this all in GP... try to make the "crinkle" of the paper and do the top (icing) twice.. glueing them on after drying? Addition of a 2D cherrie and candle after dried. THEN spraying them with a confectioners glaze for a shiny look...

What are your thoughts?

Thanks a million icon_smile.gif
LL

10 replies
joshalow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joshalow Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 12:35am
post #2 of 11

YOu can use the Bas Relief method for doing this. This would give it a 2 dimensional look to it. You use fondant/gumpaste for Bas Relief.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 1:19am
post #3 of 11

Me, I would do that with fondant that had a lot of corn starch worked into it so that it could be totally edible. Royal to me would be too iffy at that size and dry fondant is wonderful candy to eat. Probably flavor it with raspberry flavor or cupcake flavor or something.

Umm, I would want to make the top like a pita bread that could just open up slightly to fit over the fluted bottom. So I would make and thoroughly dry the cupcake bottoms. Then make and dry some tops with the fluted bottoms inserted in the slot so it all dries happy. The tops might have to dry standing up. Then I'd glue it up in there real secure.

I mean I'd start with a plan like that & see where it led me.

Cutest cupcake.

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 1:34am
post #4 of 11

Joshalow, what is bas relief? Heard the term for art before I think but can't wrap my head around it in terms of cake.

-K8memphis Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 7:23pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizatchgirl

Joshalow, what is bas relief? Heard the term for art before I think but can't wrap my head around it in terms of cake.

I'm not Joshalow but a bas releif is a sculpture that has some depth but is mostly laying on the cake. Like not so much a fbct or a run-on sugar because those are mostly flat. But some subject like that where depth is added so it's more dimensional. Like if it was a little girl, she'd have ruffles on her dress made from fondant that really stand up and stuff like that. But still it all lays on top of the cake.

Hey I got one!

http://acmecakes.com/images/IMGP0216.JPG

Her bonnet and her hands and sleeve ruffles, the book and the baby's head & shoulders make this bas relief-ishy. Probably to be exactly bas relief the whole girl should be more raised but I mean she's done in buttercream so that's close--but stuff like that that's flat but dimensional is bas relief.

TantalizingTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TantalizingTreats Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 8:00pm
post #6 of 11

I'm definately do not compare to your decorating skills, but as I am looking at your picture, I think your idea of using gp to do the bottom of the cupcake is a good idea, cuz you can get the "crinkle" effect you want.. but would chocolate work for the top? it has that 2d effect to it when it dries. maybe if you can shape it (the moulding chocolate) into the shape you need using white chocolate and then painting on the details by hand.

just a thought... I would love to see the cake when its finished... i know it will turn out great!

TantalizingTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TantalizingTreats Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 8:04pm
post #7 of 11

another thought for the chocolate afte hitting submit, was...

what if you were to make a mould or shape of the top out of metal or something, like a cookie cutter you know, and the pour the chocolate into it, so its not too heavy... and then use melted chocolate or RI to attach it to the bottom piece

wgoat5 Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 9:07pm
post #8 of 11

Thank you all for your thoughts icon_smile.gif

I got the piece done... To go on the cake the first of July icon_smile.gif

Thanks a million icon_smile.gif

wgoat5 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 3:04am
post #9 of 11

I wanted to post my finished cake icon_smile.gif

I appreciate your opinions on how or if I should do anything different icon_smile.gif

It's not EXACTLY the same but close enough LOL ...

And she was THRILLED with it icon_smile.gif

In fact I have an order for a 1st birthday in the colors pink, ivory and gold icon_wink.gif

But if there is anything you see that looks out of place PLEASE tell me icon_smile.gif because we can all learn different techniques icon_smile.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1239393

-K8memphis Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 3:25am
post #10 of 11

Ok it looks like a cartoon that's how much whimsy you got packed into it. It's beyond very amazing. It oozes whimsy.

Ok then you asked me to put it under the microscope. I looked carefully and the only tiny thing I can detect is about the cherry on top--the stem is going the wrong way and why is it flat?

But gadzooks what a cake! I would call that style Ultra-Whimsy.

wgoat5 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 11:10am
post #11 of 11

icon_smile.gif

The reason is I tried to make the "cupcake" look exactly like the pic. I posted in the beginning icon_smile.gif ..I guess since there was a flat cherry on that one I did it on mine LOL
I should of made it like the one on the bottom icon_smile.gif

Thanks so much for your thoughts icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%