misha35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misha35 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:04am
post #2 of 24

was your icing smooth underneath?

If not, it will show thru & make fondant rough

maimai16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimai16 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:07am
post #3 of 24

hmm... its hard to fix this if youre not planning to cover it all with designs like cut outs, etc.

judging your pic, i can see that the "cake" is not evenly covered by your buttercream... there's no turning back if your fondant is already on your cake. the only resort i can see is to cover it with cut outs.

jbart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jbart Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:08am
post #4 of 24

the edge were you put the two halfs together is really bad and the more i tried to smooth it the worse it got.

jbart Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:10am
post #5 of 24

would I be better of trying to start over?

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:13am
post #6 of 24

What is it going to be? Can you put another thin layer of stiffer fondant over it? Your fondant looks kind of soft, is it MMF?, that is not notoriously soft-you may need to add some powdered sugar & cornstarch to it, then roll out another coat. I did this one time when I made a cake that was like this, it was supposed to be like a bunch of marbles, and 2 of them did that, I had to use Wilton fondant for the second layer, and it worked just fine...Good luck dear!.

jbart Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:16am
post #7 of 24

It is going to be a carriage that will be sitting on a sheet cake. Can you put another thicker layer on top of this? Would you be able to hide the ridge with that?

hamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hamie Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:24am
post #8 of 24

I would remove the fondant, you might need to do some carving to make the seam fit together better. Then place a slightly thicker coat of bc. Put it into the frig for a bit to firm up the bc, then recover with thicker fondant.

Go luck, I hate covering spheres.

cdavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdavis Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:27am
post #9 of 24

I've done this. Turned out that there was a small and I mean small ridge on the top of one of the cakes. To do it right, you really need to remove the fondant, shave the ridge with a sharp knife. Smooth your crumb coat and then re-fondant. I know it's hard to think about doing all that but I'd rather spend the extra time and materials than try to patch it and I don't think you'll be happy unless you do it right. Hang in there.... deep breath and then back at it.

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 2:44am
post #10 of 24

Did u let yuor buttercream crust over slightly and then put another layer over ther ridge? I find that that works better when trying to smooth/cover up join lines. If u havae time to take off the fondant and begin again, that's probably what I would do. Then try to get your BC as smooth as possible (kind of hard to be perfect ont his shape) then try covering with a slightly thicker layer of fondant. If you don't have time for a redo, I'd just try to smooth the buttercream through the current layer of fondat- with hands, fondant smoother, etc. and then apply a second slightly thicker layer of fondant. HTH.

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 5:37am
post #11 of 24

Just my suggestion but I think I would take the fondant off and make a whole lot of MMF, place the MMF in a zip lock bag and let it rest over night. It isn't soft after resting. If it is still sticky knead it on a surface sprinkled with corn starch. Now as far as the seams go I think I would put them two halves standing next to each other instead of on top of each other because the sides will be the most noticeable right? Chances are you will have decorations on the top, front and back of some sort should the seams pop their ugly heads but I don't think they will if you put a nice coat of BC on before you put a nice thick wrapper of fondant. I put on more than a crumb coat when I use fondant to give me a nice cushion to smooth out those rough places. I would also roll out the fondant pretty thick to avoid stretching. Use lots of cornstarch on your surface. Good luck!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 5:54am
post #12 of 24

i saw an episode on ace of cakes where this happened. duff filled in the dents ...but can't remember with what, and then he put another layer of fondant over it and it fixed the problem.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 6:17am
post #13 of 24

I would take the fondant off..
Carve the cake so it even on that edge..Give it a crumbcoat
put in the refrigerator so it crusts and cools ..Give it a second coat of buttercream..refrigerate again and
then re-do fondant!!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 7:14am
post #14 of 24

It needs thicker buttercream if cake imperfections and dents are showing, and then you need to chill it before fondanting so it can't ripple.

jbart Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 11:35pm
post #15 of 24

Thanks for all of your help! They were happy with the results. I still see mistakes but I learned alot.
LL

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 12:28am
post #16 of 24

Oh it's adorable!

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 1:32am
post #17 of 24

Great job! Thanks for sharing!

jbart Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 2:13am
post #18 of 24

thanks for your comments. I had fun making this cake but I also learned a lot. Karla

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 4:14am
post #19 of 24

Well it sure looks good!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 4:24am
post #20 of 24

Well..it looks really cute..I bet she loved it!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 4:32am
post #21 of 24

Did I miss it? How did you wind up fixing it?

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 4:40am
post #22 of 24

what an adorable cake!! I love it!

as a side note, Diane I've seen Duff fillin the cracks of his fondant cakes with royal icing.

jbart Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 5:26am
post #23 of 24

I took the fondant off and reiced it with bc and then refondant. It was hard to get it really smooth but finally it worked

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 21 Jun 2008 , 5:30am
post #24 of 24

Your hard work paid off. It looks great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%