What Am I Doing Wrong? - Edges Of A Bc Cake...

Decorating By mom2spunkynbug Updated 19 Jun 2008 , 5:54pm by loriemoms

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 2:19pm
post #1 of 6

There are so many great cakes on here!

One of my fav's is where the cake is covered in bc, and then has fondant stripes (vertical stripes) going around it.

Well, anytime I try to do something on the edge of my cake, I always mess up the edge! I tried this effect last 4th of July and when moving the fondant stripe up off the mat & onto the cake I would stretch it out in certain spots by accident, getting it all out of shape! Also the top corner of my bc cake would be mushed in a bit when I put the stripe down - know what I mean?

How can I do this properly without messing up the stripes or the bc?

Thanks.

5 replies
pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 2:27pm
post #2 of 6

Chill the cake so the bc "sets up" a bit first. Also are you using mmf? Sometimes that can be tricky as it can be softer than fondant to move around. Maybe bought or made fondant would work better.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 2:42pm
post #3 of 6

I let my fondant strips set up for a bit too... just rub some crisco on them so they don't get too dry.. just a few minutes will be fine. And chill your cake before you lay them on. icon_smile.gif

mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 5:45pm
post #4 of 6

If they are set up a little you can dust them with CS or PS and roll up the strip and then unroll them on the cake. Help them not distort so much.

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 5:49pm
post #5 of 6

I paint just a little water on the back of mine as well so I don't have to push it into the bc. It makes a little sticky so it doesn't seem to mess up my bc so much.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 5:54pm
post #6 of 6

I do the same thing, I put alittle tylose powder (or you can use a little wilton gum paste powder)so its not as stretchy, roll it out, dust it with corn starch, then roll it up, and unroll on cake. Works very well!

I also agree, if you cake is crusted, you should wet down the buttercream a little with a light brush, then roll out the fondant. Especailly if you are doing it a little around the middle of the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%