Makins Clay Extruder, And Other Clay Stuff...

Decorating By emrldsky Updated 19 Jun 2008 , 9:34pm by MichelleM77

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 12:45pm
post #1 of 7

I've read on here about the Makins clay extruder, but was wondering if the clay machine was good to have as well? It's cheaper than the KA pasta attachment, or a stand-alone pasta machine.

I'm not planning on purchasing these items for myself, but I'm working on a large wish list for birthdays and other holidays for my in-laws (they swear they never know what to get me for occasions and insist on a list). *shrug*

So I thought to myself, what would I like that isn't really expensive, but I don't HAVE to have right this minute? icon_smile.gif

What are YOUR thoughts on the Makins extruder and other products? (Doesn't have to be Makins, btw, could be any brand.)

6 replies
snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 1:14pm
post #2 of 7

I really like the Makin's Clay Extruder - the green one with lots of discs.

I'm not familiar with the clay machine you refer to. Do you have a link for it?

Sounds like a fun list to make up!

FYI - I got my KA pasta attachment from EBay and it was much cheaper.

emrldsky Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 1:37pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowshoe1

I really like the Makin's Clay Extruder - the green one with lots of discs.

I'm not familiar with the clay machine you refer to. Do you have a link for it?

Sounds like a fun list to make up!

FYI - I got my KA pasta attachment from EBay and it was much cheaper.

Here's a link to the Makins brand machine on on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IM7FK8/?tag=cakecentral-20

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 4:55pm
post #4 of 7

Looks like a good product (maybe someone else here has used it - so here's a bump). Before I got the KA attachment I had a manual pasta machine (similar to this). I was not successful in using it for fondant. The issue I had with the manual is the crank needed to be turned constantly else I got a 'bump' where I stopped turning. With the KA I can feed fondant through and use my hands to control the output. Most of the time I just use a rolling pin because its too much trouble to get the attachment out - but I guess if I were making ALOT of ruffles/bows, etc... the machine would be invaluable.

Let us know what you decide to go with and best wishes!

emrldsky Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 5:41pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks for the bump, and the advice about hand-crank pasta machines. icon_biggrin.gif

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 9:14pm
post #6 of 7

I have the little green clay extruder and use it often. I also have several sets of the metal cutters and quite a few of the impression molds and strips and they work just great.

I've also used the Sculpey clay molds which also work great.
KimAZ

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 9:34pm
post #7 of 7

I have the green Makins clay extruder and love it.

I don't think the pasta machine would be of value unless you are using white fondant and coloring it afterwards with a paint technique, because I have the KA pasta attachment and can't get all the tiny bits out of it in order to not contaminate the next color going through! I even sat there with a toothpick and Q-tip and even when I thought I had it all, colored bits on my fondant!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%